Nike Basketball and Language Camp at Curry College Milton, Massachusetts
Join us this summer at the NIKE Basketball Camp at Curry College. You'll improve your game, meet new friends from all over the world and with our Sport and Language programs, you'll improve your English too!
In 2014, we are offering six weeks of NIKE Basketball camp sessions which will include lots of great instruction, fun on and off-campus activities, an outstanding international staff and the option to add language classes to your NIKE Basketball program.
The Nike Basketball camp will cover all the technical essentials to get your basketball game on point, including shooting, passing, dribbling, rebounding, footwork and mental readiness on the court. Offensively, we will work on proper shooting technique, jump-shots, lay-ups, ball handling skills, and moving with and without the ball. Defensive session will work on proper stance, positioning and defensive principles.
Campers looking to add language to their basketball experience can choose from one of two programs:
- Option 1 - One-week language program followed by Nike Basketball Camp. The first week, campers attend morning language classes and participate in fun afternoon activities which include cultural field trips into Boston and the surrounding areas. (These afternoon programs allow campers to practice their language skils in a real-world setting.) After the language week, campers participate in their Nike Basketball camp for the remaining weeks.
- Option 2 - Language and Nike Basketball camp training all in the same day. This program combines 3 (50-minute) language classes per day and an afternoon Nike Basketball training session for each week that they participate.
These combination Nike sport and language programs provide the perfect balance for international campers who want to improve their English but also want to get better at Basketball.
Campers looking to create a multi-week SPORT-only session (without a language program) can combine any one of the six weekly sessions together with a weekend stay for a personalized experience. Click here for a listing of available basketball only camp sessions.
- 30 hours of NIKE Basketball instruction per session
- Superior instruction & a low Camper to Coach ratio
- Daily emphasis on fundamental development, team play, and more
- 3 hours of language classes daily during language week, and fun activities that allow you to practice your English.
- Fun evening camp activities with American children
- Official NIKE Camp T-shirt, yearbook, and other great NIKE prizes
- Transportation to all activities and airport transfers
- Develop your English skills while creating new American friendships
Curry College, located in Milton, Massachusetts, is one of New England's most beautiful college campuses. Located only seven miles outside of downtown Boston, its outstanding facilities include indoor and outdoor basketball courts, air conditioned dorms, and excellent dining facilities located near residence halls. The convenient campus layout means courts, dining halls, and dorms are just a short walk away!
Meet your coaching staff
We are proud to announce David Chadbourne as MBSC’s Basketball Program’s Head Pro. Chadbourne has just completed his 10th season as the head coach of Franklin Pierce University. Some of Chadbourne’s accomplishments include: Producing six All-Northeast-10 picks, two Daktronics and two NABC All-Region selections; led the Ravens to a 17-11 record and third place in the New England Collegiate Conference in his first season at the helm.
Wayne Turner is a retired American professional basketball player. He was a star point guard for the University of Kentucky’s Wildcats during a four-year period in which they won two national titles (1996 and 1998), and he set the NCAA record for games played with 151 games. Following his college years he played for the NBA’s Boston Celtics and the International Basketball League’s Cincinnati Stuff. In 2000 he signed with the Harlem Globetrotters. In 2002 he played for the Dakota Wizards of the Continental Basketball Association and helped them win the 2002 CBA Championship. Turner rejoined the Wizards in 2005, helping them reach the play-offs. In 2008 he returned to the CBA’s East Kentucky Miners.
Wynn has coached at Curry College for 7 seasons. Over the course of seven seasons, he compiled a stellar 142-42 (.771) record. Wynn led RCC to the 2000 NJCAA Division III National Championship and was subsequently named as NJCAA National Coach of the Year. One year later, he guided the Tigers to a 31-1 record and third-place finish in the NJCAA National Tournament. Starting in 1996, his teams won four NJCAA State Championships and five NJCAA Region XXI Championships. Wynn was also a four-time recipient of both NJCAA Region XXI and District 8 Coach of the Year honors.
Program dates: Six consecutive sessions starting on Sunday June 29. Last session starts on August 3 and ends on August 8. Campers may combine sessions together for multi-week stay. MBSC will be running camp as usual on July 4th. This week is still a full week of camp.
June 29, or July 6, 13, or 20. Campers will be met at the airport by Curry staff.
Check-in & Check-out
Camp Check-in - 13:00-15:00 Sunday
Camp Check-out - sessions end on Friday at 16:00
- English classes begin Monday morning, and are held from 9:00am to 12:00 noon Monday through Friday.
- Students in this program will improve core English skills: speaking, listening, and confidence. Classes are communicative in nature and offer plenty of opportunities for speaking practice in three 50-minute classes per day for a total of 15 classes per week.
- Program is designed for campers aged 10-18 years old.
- Students will be evaluated and put into groups based on age and language experience.
Sport and Language campers have the choice of two language program options:
Option 1 - One-week language program followed by Nike Basketball Camp. The first week, campers attend morning language classes and participate in fun afternoon activities which include cultural field trips into Boston and the surrounding areas. In addition to having fun and taking a break from class, all activities are specially designed to develop campers' English speaking skills and confidence. After the language week, campers participate in their Nike camp for the remaining weeks of their camp stay. Click here for a detailed schedule of this program.
Option 2 - Language and Nike Basketball camp training all in the same day. This program combines 3 (50-minute) language classes per day and an afternoon Nike camp training for each week that they participate. Click here for a detailed schedule of this program or take a look at the detailed schedule below.
How does the program work?
Campers can choose the number of weeks they want to participate - up to six weeks! A sample daily schedule is below. Just choose the weeks you want to attend and register. It's just that easy. Everything is included, except camper spending money - we suggest $100 per week. Campers only need to bring their enthusiasm, a willingness to learn, and a desire to have fun and meet lots of new friends!
Logistics and Travel
Designated Airport: Logan International Airport
Travel: International campers must complete a travel form in order to guarantee pick up at the airport. Travel forms will be included in your camp registration package which will be availabl in Mid May. Please note, Parents should plan their children's international flights home with extra time provided to get to the airport after a camp session. Campers may elect to add an additional night or a full weekend after camp, to accomodate international flight schedules. There is a charge of $125 for each additional night. This charge includes meals.
Early arrivals & late departures: There is a $125 fee per day to accommodate campers arriving early or staying beyond the final day of their registered session. This fee includes housing and meals. Please note that our camp staff cannot receive early campers prior to Sunday, June 29 (the first day of our first session), nor may campers stay past Friday, August 8 (the final day of our last session). You should be aware that the airlines may charge an additional fee for unaccompanied minors (usually ages 14 or below). Check with the appropriate airlines as fees and regulations vary.
Weekend Programs are included in your tuition and include any activity fees for weekend excursions and transportation. Weekend program begins after the last basketball training session on Friday afternoon (16:00) and end when the new camp session begins on Sunday at 13:00
Students in this program will improve all core English skills: speaking, listening, reading, writing and grammar. Classes are communicative in nature and offer planty of opportunities for speaking practice. We offer 3 language sessions per day (50 minutes each). Language starts at 8:00 am and ends at 12:00 pm (Option #1) or starts at 8:00 am and ends at 2:00 pm (Option #2). Click here for Option #2 schedule.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. Our health and release forms do not require a doctor's signature and they will be collected on the first day of camp. International camper must have health insurance valid in the US in order to attend camps.
Local Accommodations for Parents
For parents who are traveling with their kids from out of town and need a place to stay near camp, we recommend the Homewood Suites by Hilton. Please call 1-781-828-4700 or Click Here to reserve your room.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:30am Breakfast
- 8:30am Language assessment (Monday only); Campers to classroom (Monday-Friday)
- 8:45am Language class begins: Grammar, Listening, Discussion, Vocabulary, Reading, Writing
- 10:30am Language classes continues: Conversational activities, Writing, Music, Art
- 12:00 noon Lunch
- 1:00pm NIKE Basketball: Technical skill development, Tactical skill development, Strength and conditioning, Tournament play
- 5:00pm Dinner
- 6:00pm Free time
- 7:00pm Evening activities
- 10:00pm Campers to dorms
- 10:30pm Lights out!
- Housing: Dormitory housing on campus with all meals provided (variety of choices at each meal). Two campers to a room. International campers will be placed with an American camper of the same age/grade. Bathrooms are communal and are located on each floor.
- Safety: 24-hour supervision is an important feature of every NIKE Basketball Camp. Staff members reside in campers’ quarters and participate in all activities. Two sets of staff for sport training and for other camp activities insure constant supervision and camper safety.
- Instruction: Low Coach to Camper ratio. Training groups formed by skill, age, and years of experience. End-of-session individual player evaluation written by coaching staff - see "Coaches" tab for more details on coaching staff.
- Recommended Spending Money: $50-$100 per week.
- Medical Facility: 3-6 athletic trainers are on-site and around the dorms. A doctor is on-call for emergencies.
- Extra Activities: MBSC/NIKE Basketball Camp is one of the only camps that offer nightly OFF-campus activities. Our pre-organized evening/weekend activities include: laser tag, bowling, Hard Rock Café, game arcade, Six Flags Amusement Park (weekend), and whale watching (weekend). Campers can choose up to 3 activities each week. Campers who choose to remain on-campus will enjoy alternate activities such as ping pong, movies, board games, and volleyball. Counselors stay on campus and accompany off campus trips to ensure 24/7 supervision of all campers.
- All-inclusive tuition: Covers language instruction, sport instruction, housing, meals, roundtrip airport transfers, weekend stayover(s), and activities (two per week, plus one additional if staying for weekend).
- Registration Packet: A detailed camper registration packet containing check-in location, health & release forms, emergency contact info, and a packing list will be emailed to all registered campers in spring 2014. Our health and release forms require a doctor's signature and will be collected on the first day of camp. International campers must have health insurance valid in the US in order to attend camps.
- Laundry: Campers have access to the laundry machines which are located in each building. We provide the laundry detergent for FREE. However, the college's laundry machines require them to pay $1.25 for the washer and $1.25 for the dryer. If campers need help washing their clothes, the counselors are always available to help them. This is a great experience for the campers to learn how to wash their own clothing!
- Money for the machines: The campers will be able to get change from the bank from their camp bank account. Parents send their child with approximately $50/week of spending money. You can send more or less spending money- it is completely up to the parents and the $50/week is just a recommendation. We hold the money in the camp bank so it is safe. Campers have a bank ledger which they sign everytime they withdraw money. At the end of their stay, whatever is left in their camp bank is sent home with them. If a camper runs out of money, the parents can call into the office (617)391-5139 and give a credit card number to charge more money into their child's bank account.
- Labels on clothing: We only recommend it so that if he loses it, we know whose clothing it is. Many parents do not do this as it is very time consuming. It is not necessary, only a recommendation. You could always use a permanent marker to at least write his initials on the inside of his clothing if you would like.