Nike Golf Camps, University of San Diego San Diego, California
Click to enlarge and view gallery »
Our Nike Junior Golf Camp in San Diego is the premier location for instruction and fun for golfers of all ability levels. Collegiate Hall of Fame coach, Mike Wydra, and his staff of current and former collegiate players invite you to one of the most beautiful places in the United States - San Diego, California - for the best week of your summer!
Campers reside on campus at University of San Diego in residence halls. For golf instruction and afternoon course play Nike campers play a wide variety of courses in the San Diego area. In addition to having an incredible time, Wydra and his staff are confident each and every golfer will show improvement during the course of the week. Our programs in San Diego have hosted thousands of junior golfers over the years and the end result is always an unforgettable summer camp experience.
- Small group instruction with low student/teacher ratio with former college coach Mike Wydra
- Daily course play with the staff focusing on course management, shot/club selection, strategy, rules and etiquette
- Wide variety of courses in the San Diego area
- Beautiful accommodations at University of San Diego
- Nike amenity package including a hat, one dozen golf balls, a camp workbook, bag tag and other great prizes
- Video swing analysis
- Exciting evening activities are planned for each night and include a camp barbecue, pizza night, Boomer’s Family Fun Center, bowling night, movie night,and a San Diego Padres baseball game (dates to be determined)
A Tour of San Diego Golf!
This program is unique in that participants get to play a wide variety of courses during their stay. The camp travels to a different golf facility each day and each Thursday involves a special outing at one of the following San Diego area gems: Encinitas Ranch Golf Course, Riverwalk Golf Club, Barona Creek Golf Club, Maderas Golf Club, Morgan Run Club and Resort and The Crossings at Carlsbad.Meet your coaching staff
Mike Wydra, who was inducted into the Golf Coaches Association of America Hall of Fame in 2011, has one of the most accomplished golf resumes in all of San Diego County. He is the former golf coach at UCSD having served in that position for 32 years. As head coach, he produced over 30 professionals and 54 All-Americans.Read Full Bio
Wydra led UCSD to 13 top five finishes and 3 runner-up finishes in NCAA Championship competition and his team claimed the 1993 NCAA National Championship. He has also been the Western States NCAA Coach of the Year for 11 consecutive years.
In addition to his coaching accomplishments, Coach Wydra has had great success as a player. He was the youngest ever Torrey Pines Club Champion, the San Diego County Open Champion (1980), a five-time winner on the Golden State Mini-Tour and a PGA Tour School Finalist (1980).
Mike Wydra certainly brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to the Nike Golf Camp in San Diego which is why it is one of the most popular camps in the nation.
Mike Wydra is joined by college assistant coaches and former/current college players who serve as camp counselors.
Campers live on the beautiful and popular USD campus and enjoy dining in the cafeteria. They have access to a camp store, laundry facilities, ping pong table, and two video game units with 4-person gaming capability. USD is located just minutes from the beach!
Why Choose This Camp?
- Fantastic weather - rarely rains, never too hot
- Activities - fun evening activities planned each night
- Wide variety of course play at San Diego facilities
- High quality instruction each day
- Video analysis and take-home DVD.
- Great staff - Good players and instructors, caring and friendly
- Family atmosphere - Wydra and his wife, Terri, make sure every camper is comfortable and well cared for during camp
Check-in and Check-out
Check-in will take place on the first day of camp on the USD campus from 1:00-2:30 pm. Graudation will take place on the last day of camp at 1:00 pm followed by check out from 1:30-2:00 pm.
The Overnight fee includes all golf instruction, green fees, evening activities, housing and all meals. Extended Day option available for commuters. Price includes all golf activities, lunch, dinner and participation in evening activities.
Nike Golf Schools and Jr. Camps do not provide transportation to and from airports, bus depots or train stations. For shuttle information to and from San Diego Airport visit www.san.org.
Campers participating in two consecutive weeks of camp can stay over the weekend for a fee of $250. That fee covers room & board and supervision. Campers have an opportunity to relax or go to the beach (free) or they can choose to see some of the attactions San Diego has to offer (i.e. Sea World, The San Diego Zoo, etc.). There are fees associated with any special trips. Please inquire with the camp director during the first week of camp your child is attending.
Campers are supervised 24 hours a day. The staff lives in the dormitories/resort accommodations with the campers and participates in evening activities. Drugs, alcohol and tobacco are strictly prohibited, and constitute, along with general misconduct, grounds for dismissal from camp without a refund.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:00am Wake-up, Breakfast
- 8:00am Camp meeting at practice facility, skills demonstrations from staff focusing on key elements of the swing for that day
- 8:30-Noon Instruction- campers rotate stations working on putting, chipping, pitching, bunker play and the full swing
- Noon Lunch, Relaxation
- 1:00-5:00pm Course play-staff to provide on course instruction on course management, club and shot selection
- 6:00pm Dinner, Free time
- 8:00pm Evening activity
- 10:00pm Lights out