Nike Field Hockey Camp at Sacred Heart University
Improve your game and have serious fun
at Nike Field Hockey Camps
Campers of all abilities are invited to join our college field hockey camp in Connecticut and take your skills to the next level! Campers will have the opportunity to receive elite level instruction from DI Sacred Heart University Head Field Hockey Coach, Sydney Van Der Merwe, and his dedicated staff.
Girls and boys, ages 10-18, will have the opportunity to develop their skills and compete against their peers through skill sessions, small-sided games, and scrimmaging. Join our Fairfield field hockey camp and gain valuable training in all aspects of the game at our 1-Day Clinic and All Skills Camp!
- Instruction from Division 1 college coaches and players
- Fun social activities: Karaoke, Scavenger Hunt, and Water Balloon Games!
- Excellent training and residential facilities
- 1:10 staff to camper ratio
- Partner Camp of USA Field Hockey; sanctioned to make referrals to USAFH Nexus program
- All multi day campers receive a Nike Field Hockey Camps package (reversible jersey, ball, lanyard) and other fun prizes.
- View More Details ⟩
Camp Director Sydney Van Der Merwe
Sydney Van Der Merwe is the DI Head Field Hockey Coach at Sacred Heart University.View Sydney's Bio ⟩
ydney Van Der Merwe took over the Pioneer field hockey program prior to the 2016 season coming to SHU with nearly 15 years of field hockey experience.
- Came to Sacred Heart after spending the previous two season as an assistant coach at Missouri State, where he helped execute practices and game preparations, including scouting the opposition. He also assisted in all aspects of recruiting and student-athlete development. During the fall of 2013, he assumed the responsibilities of the Head Coach while she was on maternity leave
- Prior to MSU, Van Der Merwe served as the Head Varsity Coach at the Hathaway Brown School for four years helping the Blazers to four straight North East Ohio Championships. In just his second season, he led Hathaway Brown all the way to the 2008 Ohio State Championship, followed by a pair of State semi-final appearances before falling in the title game in 2011
- Van Der Merwe first broke into American collegiate field hockey as an assistant coach at Oberlin College in 2006 helping with recruitment, team practice and creating pre-season training programs
- Since he left Oberlin, Van der Merwe has been coaching with USA Field Hockey's Futures Program. In 2009 and 2010, he led his U16 Region 9 Team to back-to-back National Futures Championships
Co-Director Kourtney Kennedy
Kourtney Kennedy is the Field Hockey Assistant Coach at Sacred Heart University.View Kourtney's Bio ⟩
Kourtney Kennedy joins the Sacred Heart University Field Hockey program as the Assistant Coach for her first season in 2022. Kennedy joins the Pioneers after five years a student-athlete at nationally ranked UConn.Kennedy played as a back for five seasons where she notched 10 goals and seven assists in 97 career games. In her five-year stint, the Watertown, Mass. native earned NFHCA Mideast Region First Team, All-Big East First Team and Big East All-Tournament Team honors.
Kennedy helped her team to four-consecutive Big East Tournaments for three-straight Championship titles and participated in a trio of NCAA Tournaments. UConn made it through two NCAA Tournament games in each of its three appearances before being eliminated. Ranked among the top 20 in the last four years, Kennedy was a member of the number 2 Huskies as a junior in 2019.
Kennedy will be responsible for the Pioneers’ defense, practice planning and recruiting. In addition, she will assist with the day-to-day game-day operations going into the Fall season.
staff Camp Staff
Our Camp Director will be assisted by a talented staff which may include current and former collegiate coaches and players, club coaches, and high school coaches.
SECURE YOUR SPOT!
You can expect high demand on these first-come-first-serve camper spots, so please be sure to register early.
- Age Group: 10-18
- Gender: Girls & boys
- Programs: All Skills, 1-Day Clinic
- Camp Types: Overnight (ages 11+)*, Extended Day & Half Day Clinic
- Meals: All meals are provided for Overnight campers. Lunch and dinner are provided for all Extended Day (Commuter) campers. Lunch is not provided for Day campers.
*Overnight campers must be entering 6th grade or above in the Fall per Sacred Heart University policies.
2023 CAMP DATES
- July 22: 1-Day Clinic (girls & boys, ages 12-18)
- July 23-26: All Skills Camp (girls, ages 10-18)
- Attend multiple sessions! We encourage campers to maximize their camp experience by attending multiple camp sessions! Each program delivers something unique to help players excel in all areas of the game.
Please note: Camp schedules and details may be subject to change. Upon arrival, all participants are evaluated by the staff and placed into groups based on age and ability level.
- Date: July 22, Saturday
- Ages: 12-18
- Gender: Girls & Boys
- Check-in: 10:30am
- Daily Hours: 11:00am-2:00pm
- Lunch: Lunch is not provided. Campers please bring a sack lunch.
- Program: This 1-Day Clinic includes skill sessions, small-sided games, and scrimmaging, each player will get the time to learn and grow!
ALL SKILLS CAMP
- Date: July 23-26, Sunday-Wednesday
- Ages: 10-18 (*overnight 11-18 only)
- Gender: Girls
- Check-in: 1:00pm on Sunday
- Check-out: 1:00pm on Wednesday
- Extended Day Schedule: 1:00pm-7:30pm on Sunday, 8:30am-7:30pm on Monday-Tuesday, 8:30am-1:00pm on Wednesday
- Meals: All meals will be provided for Overnight campers. Lunch & Dinner will be provided for Extended Day campers.
- Program: This exciting All Skills program offers morning, afternoon, and evening sessions, so you will have plenty of opportunities to develop your skills. Camp will include stick work instruction & skills, technical & tactical training, offensive & defensive skills, and positioning
*Overnight campers must be entering 6th grade or above in the Fall per Sacred Heart University policies.
The information below is subject to change each year.
- Dorm Name: Bergolio Hall
- Dorm Style: Traditional Resident Hall
- Number of Campers Per Room: 2 per room
- Roommates: Rooms are assigned by age & roommate requests. Roommate requests must be mutual and received no later than 14 days before the start of camp. If you don't have a roommate request, you will be placed in a room with someone near your age. It will be a great opportunity to meet someone new!
- Bathrooms: Depends on specific dorm assignment
- Linens: Not provided. Bring linens or sleeping bag, pillow, pillowcase and a towel
- Air Conditioning: TBA
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE FEE?
- Instruction: Morning, afternoon and evening training sessions
- Overnight campers: Dormitory housing on campus and all meals are provided.
- Extended Day campers: Lunch and dinner are provided.
- Day Campers: Lunch is not provided. Campers please bring a sack lunch.
- Supervision: Campers are supervised by staff during camp hours.
- Camp Gear: The All Skills Camp participants will receive a Nike Field Hockey Camps package (reversible jersey, ball, lanyard) and other fun prizes. *Excludes 1-Day clinic participants.
INSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT & FACILITY
- Ratio: 1:10 staff-to-camper ratio
- Groupings: Campers are grouped by ability, age, and experience.
- Equipment Needed: Hockey stick, water bottle, mouth guard, shin guards, sneaks for indoor courts, and turf shoes (goalies must bring full goalie protective equipment)
- Inclement Weather Plan: TBA for 2023
- Medical Protocol: Most camps have an athletic trainer on-site to help with illness or injury. In case of an emergency, campers will be transported to the nearest hospital.
PREPARE FOR CAMP: COMPLETE YOUR PRE-CAMP CHECKLIST
To view your customer account, complete your mandatory forms, pay balance dues, and review
important camp information, visit Pre-Camp Checklist.
All necessary camp information is on this page. If there are any imperative changes prior to
camp start, registered campers will be notified via email and this webpage will be updated!
CHECKLIST OF THINGS TO BRING
Below is a suggested list of clothes, equipment, and personal items. US Sports Camps is NOT responsible for lost or stolen articles or money.
ALL CAMPERS (OVERNIGHT & COMMUTERS):
- Athletic, on-field clothing (t-shirts, shorts)
- Turf shoes or sneakers
- Reversible jersey
- Hockey Stick(s)
- Mouth guard
- Shin guards
- Goggles (not required, but recommended)
- Court shoes for indoor play in case of rain
- Goalies must bring their own full protective equipment
- Water bottle*
- Small gym bag/backpack
- Packed lunch (if required for commuters)
- Spending money
- COVID PPE (as required by state/local guidelines)
- Signed Health & Release forms and waivers (forms completed online do not need to be printed and turned in at camp)
OVERNIGHT CAMPERS ONLY:
- Athletic clothing mentioned above (1-2 pairs/day)
- Comfortable off-court clothing (pants/shorts, shirts, sweatshirts, 1 pair/day)
- Undergarments (1-2 pair/day)
- Flip flops
- Laundry bag
- Toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, bodywash, facewash, hairbrush, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, etc.)
- Personal items & medications
- Eye mask, ear plugs (optional)
- Washcloth and bath towel
- Alarm clock
- Fan (optional)
- Bed sheets (if linens not provided)
- Comforter or sleeping bag (if linens not provided)
- Pillow and pillowcase (if linens not provided)
Transportation is not provided. Campers are responsible for getting to and from camp on their own. There is no supervision before or after camp hours so please make arrangements to pick up your child on time.
For information regarding our cancellation policy and all other company policies, please visit USSC Policies.
NIKE FIELD HOCKEY CAMP FAQ
For general questions about our field hockey camps please see our FAQ page.
If you have a group of eight or more campers registering for the same camp, each camper is eligible for a discount. Please have someone contact the US Sports Camps office at 1-800-645-3226 with the names of each camper in the group and we will create a unique discount code for your group. Campers may then register individually through the website at their convenience and apply the offer code during check out. *Discount amount varies by program. Please call for details.
We cannot offer scholarships due to NCAA regulations. Our affiliation with NCAA coaches and schools puts us in a position where any scholarship money can be seen as an inducement to a future collegiate athlete. This puts our coaches and our host universities in jeopardy of damaging their status with the NCAA and incurring penalties at the hands of their organizing body.
Camps are open to any and all entrants, limited only by number, age, grade level and/or gender.Show Less See More Camp Details
ALL SKILLS CAMP SAMPLE SCHEDULE
- 7:30am-8:30am Wake-up Call, Breakfast
- 8:30am-8:45am Extended Day campers arrive. Stretching & Warm-up
- 8:45am-12:00pm Training Session I
- 12:00pm-1:00pm Lunch, rest
- 1;00pm-2:15pm Training Session II
- 2:15pm-2:30pm Rest
- 2:30pm-4:00pm Training Session III
- 4:00pm-6:00pm Dinner, Rest
- 6:00pm-7:30pm Training/Nighttime Activities
- 7:30pm Extended Day Campers Depart, Overnight Campers to dorms for group activities or free time
- 10:00pm Lights ouy
1-DAY CLINIC SAMPLE SCHEDULE
- 11:00am Campers Arrive & Warm-up
- 11:00am-12:30pm Training Session
- 12:30pm-1:00pm Lunch, rest
- 1:00pm-2:00pm Games & 7v7 Scrimmaging
- 2:00pm Campers depart
Campers will train on the outdoor turf fields at Sacred Heart University!
Camp Questions & Answers
Can I sign up for more than 1 session/program?
Absolutely! Campers are encouraged to attend multiple sessions. Each program delivers something unique to help players excel in all areas of the game. Many campers will attend more than one session to further refine their skills, compete against new players, or choose a session with a different program focus.
SECURE YOUR SPOT – CAMPS SELL OUT!
Last year over 650 Sports Camps sold out, leaving 7,000+ campers on the waitlist. Due to high demand, early registration for our first-come-first-serve camps is strongly recommended.