Nike Junior Golf Camp, Sam Houston State University
Improve your game and have serious fun at
Nike Junior Golf Camps
Sam Houston State set to offer junior golf camps in Huntsville, Texas for another summer of instruction and fun. Get better this summer under the direction of college coaches and players, led by Head Coach, Brandt Kieschnick.
The overnight camp includes all golf instruction, course play, meals, housing, and evening activities. Campers are housed in the Piney Woods Dorm on campus and eat meals in the dining halls each day. Following dinner each night, campers participate in evening activities that can include campus tours, movies, and other sports activities.
Local residents have the option of participating in the day camp which runs from 9:00am - 5:00pm. This option includes all golf instruction, lunch, and course play. Day campers are dropped off and picked up at the course each day.
- Small group instruction from Division I coaches and varsity players at McIver Training Facility
- Daily course play at The Bearkat Course
- Fun competitions, skills challenges, scrambles and more
- Overnight accommodations on campus at SHSU
- Camper amenity package including a Nike hat, drawstring bag, SRIXON golf balls, camp workbook and graduation certificate
- Safe, fun and healthy learning environment
- View More Details ⟩
Camp Director Brandt Kieschnick
A former standout as a member of the Bearkat Golf Team (1995-1999), Head Coach Brandt Kieschnick took over the SHSU Golf Program on August 1, 2012 and has brought the winning tradition to the program and was awarded the 2021 Dave Williams National Coach of the Year!View Brandt Kieschnick's Bio ⟩
Under the direction of Kieschnick, the Bearkats claimed consecutive Southland Conference Championships for the first time in program history, doing so in 2013-14 and 2014-15. The 2014 Southland Conference title was the first in 20 years for Sam Houston and occurred in just the second season under the new head man.
- Named the 2021 Dave Williams National Coach of the Year
- Led Sam Houston State University to its 1st National Championship birth in 2021 finishing 9th at the NCAA Championship and 1 spot from Match-Play
- Led the Bearkats to its first top 20 National Ranking finishing the 2021 season at #16 in the Final National Rankings
- Led SHSU to 5 Southland Conference Championships (2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021) -Led Sam Houston State University to its 1st Southland Conference Championship (2014) in 20 years -1st in school history to defend their Southland Conference Championship (2014-2015, 2018-2019) and 1st in school history to 3-peat (2018, 2019, 2021)
- Led Sam Houston State University to 1st NCAA Regionals appearance in 2014 – Auburn and has led SHSU to 5 Post-Season NCAA Regional Championships, 2014- NCAA Auburn Regional, 2015- NCAA Washington Regional -2018-NCAA Oklahoma Regionals, 2019-NCAA Texas Regionals, 2021-NCAA Stillwater Regional – 1st in school history to make NCAA Regionals back-to-back years (2014-2015, 2018, 2019,2021)
- Coached Southland Conference individual champions Zach Cabra- 2014, JT Taylor- 2015, Noah Steele-2019, Paul Chaplet-2021
- 5-time Southland Conference Coach of the Year (2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021)
* 1st Coach to be named Southland Conference Coach of the Year (2014, 2015, 2018, 2019) and Southland Conference Player of the Year (1997, 1999)
- Guided the Bearkats to 22 Team titles & 20 Individual Titles
- Helped to Oversee and develop the state of the art, Robert and Erin Steele Golf Facility . . . which serves as a practice facility and home to the Bearkat Golf Teams
- Helped guide the team to SHSU Team Scoring Records: Low 18, 36, & 54 hole scoring records; Low 18, 36, & 54 Hole Individual Records
- 1-All-American (2021)
- 3- Ping All Region Selection
- 20 -Tournament Individual Medalists, 4- Southland Conference Championship Medalists
- 1- U.S. Amateur Semi-Finalist
- 3- National Team Selections for their respected Country
- 29 - All Southland Conference Selections ( 14- 1st Team)
- 2- Southland Conference Player of the Year
- 2- Southland Conference Student-Athlete of the Year
- 1- Southland Conference Freshman of the Year
- 4 -Southland Conference Newcomer of the Year
Assistant Golf Coach Jenna Young
Jenna Young serves as the Assistant Golf Coach at Sam Houston State University.View Jenna's Bio ⟩
Jenna Young comes to Sam Houston after a professional golf career and stellar playing career at SHSU.
She was a student-athlete for the Bearkats from 2015-2019 and was named the 2019 Southland Conference Student-Athlete of the Year. In her stint with the Bearkats, Young won three collegiate titles and played 45 events over her career. She averaged 74.5 her senior year and had a career low round of 67. In addition, she helped the Bearkat women’s team win its first Southland Conference championship in 12 years during the 2019 season and helped the team qualify for its 1st NCAA Regional event at the University of Oklahoma.
During her time at SHSU, she helped conduct the Nike Junior Camps at Sam Houston State University serving as a teaching assistant for the overnight golf camps and worked with junior golfers on swing instruction, practice drills, and on-course lessons.
Along with her amateur career, Young won the 2018 Austin City Women’s Championship, was a semi-finalist in the 2018 Texas Women’s Amateur, and finished t-4th at 2019 Texas Women’s Stroke Play. She began her professional golf career in the summer of 2019 and joined the Women’s All Pro Tour (WAPT) and played through 2020. In her pro stint, Young had 2-top ten finishes and 3 top-25 finishes.
In between professional events, Young worked at Cimarron Hills Country Club leading numerous junior golf camps and providing private lessons for high-school level athletes, including drills, swing instruction, and on-course lessons.
Most recently, before joining the Bearkat coaching staff, she served as the marketing coordinator at Hart InterCivic.
Jenna is married to Skylar Young and graduated Summa Cum Laude from Sam Houston State University in 2019 with a Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing and GPA of 4.0
This program is designed for boys and girls between the ages of 10 and 18. Whether you are a beginner, intermediate or advanced level golfer, our world-class instruction and coaching provides junior golfers with the necessary skills to compete and win. Golf instruction takes place at McIver Training Center located at The Bearkat Course, home of the SHSU Bearkats Golf teams. These camps offer training and real competition scenarios that develop every part of your game. During the week, campers work on short game, putting, approach shots, course management, and will test their new skills in weekly competitions and 18-hole tournaments. Upon arrival, all participants are evaluated by the staff so that their own instructional needs can be addressed throughout the week.
SECURE YOUR SPOT!
You can expect high demand on these first-come-first-serve camper spots, so please be sure to register early.
- Dates: 2024 Camp Dates Coming Soon
- Age Group: 10-18
- Gender: Co-ed
- Camp Type: Overnight & Full Day
- Overnight: Sunday - Thursday
- Full Day: Sunday - Thursday
- Sunday: 2:00pm - 7:30pm
- Monday - Wednesday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Thursday: 9:00am - 12:30pm
- During the week, day campers arrive at The Bearkat Course around 9:00am and depart around 5:00pm. The Day camp includes all golf activities and lunch. Day campers will be dropped off and picked up on campus each day. A complete schedule of the other camp days will be given to you upon check-in.
- Check-in: Registration for all campers (overnight and day) occurs on campus at Piney Woods Dorms between 2:00-3:00pm on Sunday. Please come dressed and ready to play as afternoon golf session begins immediately following check-in. Day campers will participate in afternoon golf session and dinner on the first day. Day campers to be picked up around 7:30pm at Piney Woods Dorms Sunday night.
- Check-out: The closing ceremony occurs from 12:00-12:30pm on Thursday at The Bearkat Course and check-out is to follow on campus at Piney Woods Dorms.
- Meals: Overnight campers will receive all meals during camp (breakfast, lunch, dinner). Day campers will receive lunch each day.
- Program: The All Abilities program is designed to improve the fundamental skills needed for golf; putting, chipping/pitching, full-swing and course etiquette. Upon arrival, all participants will be evaluated by the instructors and placed into groups based on age and ability level.
Please note: Camp schedules and details may be subject to change.
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE FEE?
- Instruction: Morning instruction and afternoon course play.
- Meals: Overnight campers will receive all meals during camp (breakfast, lunch, dinner). Day campers will receive lunch each day.
- Supervision: Campers are under staff supervision at all times as staff members live in adjacent rooms to overnight campers. Drugs, alcohol and tobacco are strictly prohibited, and constitute, along with general misconduct, grounds for dismissal from camp without a refund.
- Camper Amenity Package: Campers will receive an amenity package including a Nike hat, drawstring bag, SRIXON golf balls, camp workbook, and graduation certificate.
INSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT & FACILITY
- Ratio: 1:8 staff-to-camper ratio.
- Groupings: Campers are grouped by age, ability, and experience.
- Equipment Needed: Players should supply their own golf clubs, glove, golf balls, and tees.
- Facilities: The Bearkat Course at Sam Houston State & Michael McIver Golf Training Center
- Medical Protocol: Camp will have on-site staff to help with illness or injury. In case of an emergency, campers will be transported to the nearest hospital.
- Dorm: On campus at the Piney Woods Dorms.
- Campers Per Room: Campers will be housed in double rooms.
- Roommates: Campers stay in two-person rooms and are assigned by age, gender and roommate requests. If you have a roommate request, and have not previously provided us with the information, please do so no later than 14 days prior to the camp start date. If you don't have a roommate request, you will be placed in a room with someone near your age. It will be a great opportunity to meet someone new!
- Linens: Linens are NOT provided. Please bring blankets, sheets, towels and a pillow. Bed size is Twin XL.
- Air Conditioning: All rooms are air-conditioned.
- Key Deposit: Please bring a check for $75 for room key deposit, made payable to “US Sports Camps”. Check will be returned after the key card is turned in on the last day of camp.
- Spending Money: We recommend that each overnight camper bring $60-75 per week of spending money to cover incidentals like snacks, souvenirs and other activities. Please bring cash in a marked envelope for your child.
*Staff members reside in campers’ quarters and participate in all activities.
PREPARE FOR CAMP: COMPLETE YOUR PRE-CAMP CHECKLIST
To view your customer account, complete your mandatory forms, pay balance dues, and review important camp information, visit Pre-Camp Checklist. All necessary camp information is on this page. If there are any imperative changes prior to camp start, registered campers will be notified via email and this webpage will be updated!
CHECKLIST OF THINGS TO BRING
Below is a suggested list of clothes, equipment, and personal items. US Sports Camps, Sam Houston State University and the golf facilities being used are NOT responsible for lost or stolen articles or money.
- Golf clubs
- Golf Balls/tees/glove
- Golf shoes or tennis/athletic shoes
- Athletic clothing (t-shirts, shorts)
- 5-6 collared shirts (recommended)
- 4-6 golf appropriate shorts/pants
- 6-8 pairs of socks
- Casual clothes
- Sweatshirt/warm up jacket and pants
- Raingear and/or umbrella
- Toilet/personal items
- Insect repellent
- Laundry bag
- Water bottle*
- Hat/visor (Campers receive Nike hat with amenity package)
- Snacks (optional)
- Linens, blankets, towels, and pillow
- COVID PPE (as required by state/local guidelines)
- Signed Health & Release forms and waivers (forms completed online do not need to be printed and turned in at camp)
Nike Junior Golf Camps does not provide ground transportation from airports, train stations or bus stations. Parents/guardians are fully responsible for getting campers to and from camp check-in/out.
For information regarding our cancellation policy and all other company policies, please visit USSC Policies.
NIKE JUNIOR GOLF CAMP FAQ
For general questions about our golf camps please see our FAQ page.
This camp is open to any and all entrants (limited only by number, age, grade level, and/or gender).Show Less See More Camp Details
Please note: Camp schedules may be subject to change.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:30am Wake up and breakfast in dining hall
- 8:30am Campers depart for golf course
- 9:00am Warm up, stretching, demonstrations by staff
- 9:15am Small group instruction focusing on putting, chipping, pitching and full-swing
- 12:00pm Lunch and relaxation
- 1:00pm Course play with focus on shot selection, course management, rules and etiquette (day campers depart following course play)
- 5:00pm Back to campus
- 6:00pm Dinner in dining hall
- 7:00pm Evening activities (campus tour, movies, field games, etc.)
- 10:00pm Lights out in dorms
The Bearkat Course at Sam Houston State
Seamlessly blended into the rolling wooded landscape, The Bearkat Course offers players of every skill level a beautiful match between challenge and enjoyment. We are the home course of the Sam Houston State PGA Golf Management program, the Sam Houston State University Bearkats, Huntsville Hornets, and New Waverly High.
Michael McIver Golf Training Center
The Michael McIver Golf Training Center opened in April of 2008. This state of the art 1800 square foot building is equipped with two hitting bays, V-1 swing analysis software and a lounge. The facility is available for use for the PGA Golf Management Program and the SHSU Golf Teams only. In addition to the McIver Training Center, there is a practice green, pitching and chipping areas, a practice bunker and expansive teeing area for PGA Golf Management students.
His skills and confidence increased
Loved Everything About Camp!
"My son improved his golf skills, had fun & made lots of new friends. Coaches were fantastic. Great to dorms to stay in for the overnight camp. Food was good at SHSU!"
— Michelle L. Parent
I couldn't believe how well he recanted his golf shots...the makes and misses.
So, my comments are mostly based on my child's feedback on the camp. This was Dominic's first "dorm" sleep over golf camp. He had a very positive experience and the main reason I say that is because Dominic usually doesn't verbally share much with us. It's literally like drawing water from a rock. I couldn't believe how well he recanted his golf shots...the makes and misses. He had a lot of fun with all the extra activities such as the bowling, rock climbing and dorm putting competition. He enjoyed his one on one time with the coaches and counselors. He mentioned that he learned about about better bunker play, and shot making swings (draw and cut). The one thing he mentioned he would like to see is a scoreboard at the end of the event. My personal comments include: Coach Kieschnick is very friendly and made my wife and I feel welcomed and well informed. Counselors were engaged and made events fun for the kids. Check in was fast and easy.
— Chris C. Parent
The facilities were Class A
The one on one instruction was good from both the personal and skill development. He was able to connect to the Coaches and Counselors. The facilities were Class A. This camp motivated Caleb to work hard to keep improving.
— Andy A. Parent
... a more consistent player.
Sutton had recently got new clubs and they were able to work out the glitches in order to make him a more consistent player.
— Boe B. Parent
He loves working with Coach Brandt and Coach Tommy.
Seth loved the new SHSU facility at the Raven Nest golf course. He loves working with Coach Brandt and Coach Tommy. His favorite was the golf simulator.
— Shaye A. Parent
"I have been coming to Nike Golf Camps for years for the fun atmosphere and great instruction. This year was no different. Excellent experience!"
— Overnight Camper
Had a great time!
"Loved the course and good practice space. It was super fun!"
— Joe R. Camper
Overall Great Experience
"John came home and couldn’t stop talking about his experience at the Nike Golf Camp. Everything from the coaches and their ability to teach, to the friendships he made. Thank you."
— Eli S. Parent
he improved tremendously
"Blaine really enjoyed the camp and felt as he improved tremendously on his skills. He also enjoyed the fellowship with other campers and coaches."
— Mindy F. Parent
Camp Exceeded Our Expectations!
"Thank you for a wonderful week of golf for Katelyn and Trinity. This their first golf camp experience and you and your staff have made it a memorable one. Each day on our long drive home, they were excited to tell me what they learn and how you and your staff have help fixed their swing and make learning fun."
— Donald L. Parent
"It was his first overnight camp, and there was a good balance of independence and oversight and he really enjoyed that part. He also got moved up to work with the older kids at times and it was a challenge for him but he got to see how some of his bad habits don't work against bigger/faster/stronger kids and how he had to focus a lot more and felt he came a long way in a short time in that regard."
— Troy T. Parent
"She really enjoyed the coaching staff, meet some female golfers to look up to, and she said she really enjoyed playing the scramble format, which was new to her."
— Glenda M. Parent
"Lots of quality golf, great instruction, and a fun atmosphere!"
— Wes H. Camper
one on one instruction
"Lillian loved the small number of campers because she has one on one instruction. She will definitely go back."
— Karen C. Parent
The coaches were great
"John had a great time. The coaches were great to work with during his time there."
— Elias K. Parent
"He enjoyed the time with the coaches and their interaction with the campers"
— David G. Parent
SECURE YOUR SPOT – CAMPS SELL OUT!
Last year over 650 Sports Camps sold out, leaving 7,000+ campers on the waitlist. Due to high demand, early registration for our first-come-first-serve camps is strongly recommended.