Nike Junior Golf Camps, University of Illinois
Improve your game and have serious fun at
Nike Junior Golf Camps
Join Fighting Illini Men’s Golf Coach and accomplished touring pro, Mike Small, for five days of top-notch golf instruction at University of Illinois. Small has been hosting this premier junior golf camp in Illinois for over a decade and looks forward to another great summer.
Nike Junior Golf Camp participants stay on campus in air-conditioned dorms and travel a short distance to the University’s Orange and Blue Golf Courses, home to the Illini men’s and women’s golf teams, where they participate in daily instruction and staff-supervised course play. This camp location is for boys only.
2019 UPDATE: Session I will take place Saturday - Wednesday and Session II will take place Wednesday - Sunday. These programs operate back-to-back and campers are welcome to register for both.
- Instruction by PGA professionals, college coaches and players
- Daily course play with the camp staff on University of Illinois Golf Courses
- One evening of "Golf Under the Lights" at the Illini Golf facility (new in 2019)
- 18-Hole Team Scramble at the nearby Legends executive course (iron play/short game focused)
- Camper amenity package including an Illini Golf t-shirt, Nike hat, drawstring bag, one dozen SRIXON golf balls, camp workbook and graduation certificate
- Video analysis for all camp participants (sent via CoachNow)
- Nike Camp tournament on last day
- View More Details ⟩
Camp Director Mike Small
Head coach Mike Small has brought national recognition to the Illinois golf program in his decade-plus as head coach. Small was honored as the 2015 Dave Williams National Coach of the Year and has coached the team to Big Ten Championship titles in eight of the last nine seasons and NCAA Championship top-five finishes in six of the past seven seasons.View Mike Small's Bio ⟩
Amateur CareerProfessional Career
¨ Illini letter-winner, men’s golf, 1985-88
¨ Member of 1988 Big Ten Championship team
¨ 1988 Big Ten Championship Individual runner-up
¨ Named to 'All Big Ten' team
- Member of Illinois Golf Hall of Fame (inducted October 2013)
- Five-time United States PGA Cup team member (2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005)
- Three-time PGA Professional National Champion (2010, 2009, 2005)
- Two-time PGA Professional National Championship runner-up (2007, 2004)
- Two-time PGA Championship low PGA club professional (2011, 2007)
- Twelve-time Illinois PGA champion (2013, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001)
- Made 15 of 34 PGA Tour cuts from 2003-17
- Four-time Illinois Open champion (2007, 2006, 2005, 2003)
- Participated in 11 major championships, making three cuts (2011, 2007, 2005)
- Three-time PGA of America National Professional Player of the Year (2010, 2007, 2006)
- Three-time U.S. Open participant (2007, 1998, 1994)
- Nationwide Tour member (1996-2001)
- Exempt member of PGA Tour (1998), with top finish a tie for ninth at the Bell Canadian Open
- Earned PGA Tour exemption by finishing in top 15 of earnings list on Nationwide Tour (1997)
- Won Monterey Open & Cleveland Open (1997)
- Led Illinois to the NCAA Championships in each of the last ten years
- Coached NCAA champions Scott Langley (2010) and Thomas Pieters (2012).
- Coached Big Ten individual champions for seven-straight years - Luke Guthrie (2011-12), Thomas Pieters (2013), Charlie Danielson (2014), Nick Hardy (2015), Thomas Detry (2016) and Dylan Meyer (2017)
- Coached 12 All-Americans to 23 total laurels: Dylan Meyer (2017 first team; 2016 honorable mention), Nick Hardy (2017 second team), Charlie Danielson (2016 first team; 2015 second team; 2014 honorable mention; 2013 honorable mention), Thomas Detry (2014 honorable mention; 2013 honorable mention), Brian Campbell (2015 second team, 2014 second team) Thomas Pieters (2013, honorable mention; 2012, first team), Luke Guthrie (2012, second team; 2011, first team), Scott Langley (2011, honorable mention; 2010, first team; 2009, second team), Chris DeForest (2011, honorable mention), Patrick Nagle (2003, third team) and James Lepp (2003, second team; 2002, honorable mention).
- Nine-time Big Ten Coach of the Year (2017, 2016, 2015, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2002)
- Eight-time NCAA Regional Coach of the Year (2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2003)
- His teams have won 42 All-Big Ten and 46 Academic All-Big Ten honors.
Upon arrival, all participants are evaluated by the staff so that their own instructional needs can be addressed throughout the week. During inclement weather, campers will use the state-of-the-art practice facility at Illinois. This facility includes covered range stalls, indoor putting and chipping greens, video swing analysis and much more.Show Less See More Camp Details
Check-In and Check-Out
Please refer to the registration packet (emailed in spring) for check-in and check-out details.
Campers arriving to Willard Airport are to secure their own transportation to and from the airport. Preferred arrivals are between 10:00 am - 1:00 pm on the first day and preferred departures are between 3:00 - 6:00 pm on the final day.
The Overnight fee includes all golf instruction, green fees, evening activities, housing and meals. The Extended Day fee includes all of the above except housing and breakfast. Extended Day campers may participate in the evening activities.
The staff lives in the dormitories/resort accommodations with the campers and participates in evening activities. Drugs, alcohol and tobacco are strictly prohibited, and constitute, along with general misconduct, grounds for dismissal from camp without a refund.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:00am Wake-up, Breakfast
- 8:00am Camp meeting at practice facility, skill demonstrations from staff focusing on key elements of the swing for that day
- 8:30am Instruction - campers rotate through stations working on putting, chipping, pitching, bunker play and the full swing
- Noon Lunch/relaxation
- 1:00pm Course play with staff (9-18 holes daily) focusing on strategy, shot selection, course management, rules and etiquette
- 6:00pm Catered dinner, free time, seminars, guest speakers
- 8:00pm Evening activities
- 10:00pm Lights out
Orange and Blue Golf Courses
Participants in the Nike Junior Overnight Camp practice and play each day at the University’s Orange and Blue Golf Courses. Situated approximately six miles south of the campus, the two University of Illinois Golf Courses serve not only the UI golf teams, but also students, faculty, staff and the general public. Both courses feature rolling terrain, strategically-placed bunkers and water on several holes. The Orange Course, the more challenging of the two, has played host to several collegiate events including the 1988 Big Ten Championships and the 1991 Women’s Big Ten Championships.
Camp ReviewsSubmit a review
Would Highly Recommend
"My boys look forward to this camp every year. They have fun and come home with areas that they can improve on. I recommend this camp to anyone I can."
— David E. Parent0
Loved the Camp
"Helped my game and my passion to attend U of I. Awesome facility."
— Lewis R. Overnight Camper0
"We were busy from the start of the day to the very end of the day. We learned so much in a short amount of time. The individual attention we received was awesome. Can't wait to come back next year!"
— Ryan B. Camper0
Thank you so very much
"My son ABSOLUTELY LOVED Mike Small's U of I Golf Camp, thank you so very much!"
— Brett E. Parent
Camp Was Amazing
"The only complaint my son had was the quality of the food in the cafeteria and the long lines for meals when the volleyball camp was there as well. The golf portion of the camp was amazing."
— Ben K. Parent
Best week of the summer vacation
"I had a great time! I told my friends that I will definitely go back and they want to come with me next year! The coaches were all great with a lot of helpful information. It was the best week of the summer vacation!"
— Zachary H. Camper
Loved the camp
"My son loved the camp and really benefited from the instruction!"
Highlight of my Summer
"Nike Golf Camp at University of Illinois was the highlight of my summer. I learned so much about my golf game and had a great time with all the activities. I plan on coming back next summer!"
— Adam C. Junior Overnight Camper
Totally Impressed with the Camp
"I was totally impressed with the camp! The golf instructors were friendly, helpful and taught the kids a lot. Probably the best camp experience from a mom's perspective and from the perspective of my son."
— Andrea K. Mother of Junior Overnight Camper
Staff Really Cares
"Mike Small runs a truly great camp. The practice facilities are great and the staff really cares about making the campers better golfers."
— Joseph C. Junior Overnight Camper
Kid had a Great Time!
"Mike Small was outstanding in running the Nike Golf Camp. My kid had a great time from start to finish!"
— Teresa Parent
"I was so impressed with the quality of instruction and the overall experience of the camp. The Nike Camp really prepared me for the high school season and I can't thank the staff enough for their help."
— Brandon B. Overnight Camper
My Son is Motivated!
"This camp provided my son with tools and the motivation to take his game to the next level. Since camp he has worked very hard, and his game has improved dramatically!"
— Joy C. Parent
This Camp Boosted My Confidence!
"Awesome! I really improved my game in time for high school tryouts! I had a lot of fun and my short game improved drastically. I am very happy I attended."
— Candice P. Overnight Camper
"Awesome camp. Great instruction and made great friends. Had plenty of time to practice and the opportunity to play each day. Looking forward to going back next year!!!"
— Lucy B. Overnight Camper
"Coach Small was outstanding."
— Mike L. Overnight Camper
Fun and Instructive!
"Had lots of fun and also received lots of helpful instruction and tips."
— Katie F. Overnight Camper
"I loved the camp and am coming back next year! Great instruction and a lot of fun!"
— Tanner D. Overnight Camper