Bill Pilat’s The Goalie School in Virginia For Girls
The Best Goalie Camp in the country!
The Virginia lacrosse session of The Goalie School this Summer is held at beautiful Roanoke College in Salem, Virginia. For Girls only, campers can expect the same outstanding instruction as the boys Goalie Schools. This camp has been filled the past 5 years so don’t delay in signing up!
Coach Pilat will be teaming up with Mary Schwartz, former head women’s lacrosse coach at Roanoke College. Coach Schwartz is a former Division I goalkeeper at the University of Maryland who knows what it takes to be successful in the women’s game.
- Great instructional staff to work with all goalies
- 4 to 1 Camper to Staff ratio; the best ratio in lacrosse camps
- Programs with a strength and agility coach
- Fun and exciting goalie games
- Coaches talks and demonstrations
- The dorms are Air conditioned!
- There is an indoor pool for campers to use at the Virginia site
- View More Details ⟩
Camp Director Mary Schwartz
Directing camp is Mary Schwartz. Coach Schwartz retired in 2022 from Roanoke College after guiding the women's lacrosse program to the 2007 and the 2009 NCAA Tournaments and the 2009 Old Dominion Athletic Conference Championship.View Mary Schwartz's Bio ⟩
A four-year letter winner at the goalie position at the University of Maryland, Schwartz helped the Terps to three NCAA Division I championship games (1982, 1984, 1985) and was named to both the ACC’s All-Tournament team and the North/South Senior All-Star game in 1985. As a goalie with Maryland’s field hockey team, Schwartz also was a four-year letter recipient and still remains fourth on the Terps’ all-time goals against average list.
Schwartz began her coaching career in 1989 as an assistant field hockey coach at North Alleghany High School (Pa.). After three years at North Alleghany, Schwartz moved on to Mt. Lebanon High School (Pa.) where she served as the head coach of the girls’ lacrosse team for two years. While in Pennsylvania, Schwartz founded the Pittsburgh Women’s Lacrosse Club in 1991. After that, Schwartz coached at Shady Side Academy (Pa.), where she coached the school’s first four high school All-Americans and earned the Midwest School Girl’s Lacrosse Association Coach of the Year Award (1994).
Schwartz’s accomplishments garnered her a coaching career at the college level. In 1996, she became the head women’s lacrosse coach of Davidson College (N.C.). Schwartz joined Roanoke College’s women’s lacrosse team in the 2005 season as the program’s eighth head coach since the program began in 1978.
Schwartz has served on several NCAA Women’s Lacrosse Committees, including a stint as the chairperson of the NCAA Division I South Region selection committee. She has also served as a Second Vice President of US Lacrosse and as an Executive Board member with the organization. As of 2016, she is currently serving her second year as a NCAA Division III At Large Representative for the IWLCA Board of Directors. Schwartz also serves as the Athletic Department’s Senior Women’s Administrator and supervises the Student-Athletic Advisory Committee.
SECURE YOUR SPOT!
You can expect a high demand on these first-come-first-serve camper spots, so please be sure to register early. This summer, The Goalie School is offering one session of overnight with commuter options available at Roanoke College. Come see why this goalie camp is filled before any other goalie camp in the country.
- Dates: July 5-7
- Age Group: 10-18
- Gender: Girls
- Camp Type: Overnight, Extended Day (commuter), & Day (commuter)
- Check-In: Check-in between 10:00-11:00am at Caldwell/Allegheny/Ritter (C-A-R).
- Check-out: There will be a brief closing ceremony on Friday at 2:00pm. Departure is 2:30pm at Caldwell/Allegheny/Ritter (C-A-R).
- Extended Day Schedule: WED 10AM-8PM, THURS 9AM-8PM, FRI 9AM-11AM **Times subject to change
- Day Schedule: WED 10AM-3:30PM, THURS 9AM-3:30PM, FRI 9AM-11AM **Times subject to change
- Meals: All meals are provided for Overnight campers. Lunch and dinner are provided for all Extended Day (commuter) campers. Lunch provided for all Day (commuter) campers.
- Program: The Goalie School programs carefully selected staff offer 3 day programs of intense instruction and drills to improve performance of the goaltender. This Camp gives campers a chance to work individually with some of the best Goalie Coaches in the country for three intense days. This Goalie School program includes special one on one instruction and evaluation, programs with a strength and agility coach, fun and exciting goalie games, coaches talks and demonstrations and a great instructional staff to work with all goalies.
211 College Ln
Salem, VA 24153
The information below is based on previous years and is subject to change each year.
- Dorm: Caldwell/Allegheny/Ritter (C-A-R)
- Number of Campers Per Room: 2 per room
- Roommates: Rooms are assigned by age & roommate requests. Roommate requests must be mutual and received no later than 14 days before the start of camp. If you don't have a roommate request, you will be placed in a room with someone near your age. It will be a great opportunity to meet someone new!
- Bathrooms: Shared
- Linens: Not included. Bring linens or sleeping bag, pillow, pillowcase, and a towel.
- Air Conditioning: YES - Dorm has A/C
The staff reside in the dormitories with the campers and participate in all activities. Drugs, alcohol and tobacco are strictly prohibited, and constitute, along with general misconduct, grounds for dismissal from camp without a refund.
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE FEE?
- Instruction: Morning, afternoon, and evening training sessions
- Overnight campers: Dormitory housing on campus and all meals are provided.
- Extended Day campers: Lunch and dinner are provided.
- Day campers: Lunch is provided.
- Supervision: Staff members reside in campers’ quarters and participate in all activities.
- Reversible Jersey & Prizes: Campers at multi-day camps will receive a TGS Lacrosse Camps Reversible Jersey and prizes.
We will have a special "Goalie School Store" at camp. Official TGS clothing and hats along with stringing components and training devices will be available. Pizza will be available for purchase in the evening for a snack. Cash Only.
Check twice and don't forget any gear or pads! Please have the following with you at a camp:
- Goalie chest protector
- Throat guard – make sure it is attached to helmet
Campers NEED TO BRING their cell phone because we will film each camper using their own phone! This way, they have a video of themselves to bring home and keep to use right away! Make sure phone has enough storage for a 7 minute video to be added. If camper does not have a cell phone it is not a problem, our staff will film the goalies and email it to them.
PREPARE FOR CAMP: COMPLETE YOUR PRE-CAMP CHECKLIST
To view your customer account, complete your mandatory forms, pay balance dues, and review important camp information, visit Pre-Camp Checklist. All necessary camp information is on this page. If there are any imperative changes prior to camp start, registered campers will be notified via email and this webpage will be updated!
Below is a suggested list of clothes, equipment, and personal items. US Sports Camps is NOT responsible for lost or stolen articles or money.
Checklist of things to bring:
- Athletic Socks
- Off-field clothes
- Personal Items
- Helmet and Mouthpiece
- Lacrosse Stick. Gloves, Pads
- Pillow & Pillowcase
- Water bottle
- Hat or Visor
- Sandals/flip flops
- Spending Money ($100)
- Twin XL Sheets/Blanket or Sleeping Bag
- No Fan Needed-Dorms air conditioned
- Roanoke College Waivers (forms to be printed, filled out and turned in at camp)
- Signed Heath & Release forms and waivers (forms completed online do not need to be printed and turned in at camp)
EXTENDED DAY CAMPERS
Checklist of Things to Bring: We recommend that all Extended Day Campers bring a daily pack with the following items: Along with your lacrosse equipment, we recommend that you bring a day pack with the following items: water bottle, weather appropriate clothing, cleats, and walking shoes.
Camp Schedule & Meals:
- Wednesday: On the first day of camp. Extended Day Campers should arrive at the listed check-in time dressed and ready to play. You will be assigned a counselor and given a complete schedule of all events during the week. Day Campers stay until 8:00pm. Lunch and Dinner is provided.
- Thursday: Extended Day Camper Hours – 9:00am-8:00pm. Lunch and dinner is provided.
- Friday: Extended Day Camper Hours - 9:00am-11:00am Check-out is immediately after the camp concludes.
Checklist of Things to Bring: We recommend that all Day Campers bring a daily pack with the following items: Along with your lacrosse equipment, we recommend that you bring a day pack with the following items: water bottle, weather appropriate clothing, cleats, and walking shoes.
Camp Schedule & Meals:
- Wednesday: On the first day of camp. Day Campers should arrive at the listed check-in time dressed and ready to play. You will be assigned a counselor and given a complete schedule of all events during the week. Day Campers stay until 3:30pm. Lunch is provided.
- Thursday: Day Camper Hours – 9:00am-3:30pm. Lunch is provided.
- Friday: Extended Day Camper Hours - 9:00am-11:00am. Check-out is immediately after the camp concludes.
Transportation is not provided. Campers are responsible for getting to and from camp on their own. There is no supervision before or after camp hours so please make arrangements to pick up your child on time.
For information regarding our cancellation policy and all other company policies, please visit USSC Policies.
NIKE LACROSSE CAMP FAQ
For general questions about our lacrosse camps please see our FAQ page.
OVERNIGHT CAMP AMENITIES
• 2 nights lodging • All meals
• Reversible Nike practice jersey
EXTENDED DAY AMENITIES
• Lunch & dinner
• Reversible Nike practice jersey
DAY CAMP AMENITIES
• Reversible Nike practice jersey
Some local hotel options listed below:
- Country Inn and Suites: 7860 Plantation Rd, Roanoke, VA 24019 - (540) 366-5678
- Hampton Inn Salem: 450 Litchell Rd, Salem, VA 24153 - (540) 389-2424
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Roanoke Salem: 121 Sheraton Dr, Salem, VA 24153 - (540) 302-4005
COACH PILAT'S INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS:
Coach Pilat has produced two videos for goalies. Purchase Advanced Techniques (2015) and Basic Techniques (2001)!
THE BALL STOPS HERE COMBO PACKAGE: Players of all ages can learn from over 90 minutes (combined) of concentrated instruction on both videos and Coach Pilat recommends both videos to any goalie. Order yours today! Price $55
BASIC TECHNIQUES - THE BALL STOPS HERE I: Was produced in 2001 and is still a valuable resource to learn the basics of goaltending as well as a few new tricks. Content Includes - Basic Proper Goalie Warmup, Basics of Stance, Stopping Screened Shots, Stick Skills and Basic Clearing, Stopping One-On-One Shots, Basic Proper Technique for stopping all shots, Unique drills, Goalie Arc Play, Pipe Play, Field Communication.
ADVANCED TECHNIQUES - THE BALL STOPS HERE II: Advanced Techniques is designed for goalies and coaches who are ready to move to the next level. Content Includes - TGS Method (Advanced Goalie Routine), Advanced Warmup, Advanced Drills, Mental Strategies, Scouting Opponents (watching film), Advanced Clearing Concepts, Weight Training for Goalies, Stick Repair and Stringing.
Campers have the opportunity to pre-order an TGS Nike t-shirt or hat in the camp registration process through July 1, 2021. You will receive items purchased on the first day at camp check-in.
- TGS Nike T-Shirt - Price $35
- T-Shirt Sizes Available in Adult Small, Medium, Large and X-Large
- TGS Embroidered Nike Baseball Cap - Price $35
- TGS Embroidered Bucket Hat - Price $35
Note: DVD's and apparel will be HANDED out at camp check in.
PRIVATE COACHING: A 30 minute instructional session with Coach Pilat or with a TGS Senior Coach that can add that little extra specific technique work your Goalie is looking for. Each coach will work with two goalies only during this training session (2 Goalies - 1 Coach). Goalies will get to be evaluated by the coach and also have a "goalies choice" segment where your goalie can ask the coach to observe any aspect of their play that needs attention. The session will take place outside of the regular camp instructional sessions. Training time will be given to camper at check in. There are limited sessions available at each camp and they sell out quickly! Price: $75
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:30 AM Wake Up (overnight campers)
- 8:00 AM Breakfast in Dining Hall (overnight campers)
- 9:00 AM Goalies filmed in cage, Coaches Talk, Station work
- Noon Lunch in Dining Hall
- 1:30 PM Remaining Goalies filmed in cage, Rapid Fire, Agility work
- 2:30 PM Clearing stations, Small group Coaches Talk
- 4:00 PM Day campers depart
- 4:15 PM Rest time, Pool Opened, Camp Store Opened
- 5:00 PM Dinner in Dining Hall
- 6:30 PM Goalie 10 on 10 Games!
- 8:30 PM Back to dorms
- 9:00 PM Rest time, Camp store opened, pizza orders
- 10:45 PM Lights Out!
In Roanoke College, you'll find a beautiful campus in a classic college town, with a vibrant city and beautiful countryside just minutes away. The campus is only 10 minutes from the Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport, with direct flights to more than nine cities in the Midwest and East Coast. It is 3-4 hours by car from Charlotte, N.C., Richmond, Va., and Washington, D.C.
Camp Questions & Answers
What are the size of the beds in the dorm?
Campers will reside in Caldwell, Alleghany & Ritter Hall and the size of the beds are Twin XL.
What is the cancellation policy for The Goalie School?
Cancellations, for any reason, received at least five (5) days before camp start date, will result in a camp VOUCHER for all tuition fees paid, valid through the following calendar year. Your VOUCHER is transferable to any family member and may be used in the sport in which you initially registered. Cash refunds will be given only with the purchase of Cancellation Protection (see terms under the Peace of Mind Policy). Individuals who DO NOT attend their registered session (no-shows) or cancel their camp session within five (5) days of the camp start date will receive a camp VOUCHER for all tuition fees paid less a $150 cancellation fee.
Camp ReviewsSubmit a review
Overall Average RatingStars
I had a wonderful time at the camp
July 15, 2021: I had a wonderful time at the camp. Some highlights included the recording station, it let me look back at my footage and see what I needed to work on or improve. I also enjoyed our watching the demos, as it let me see what I needed to work up towards.
— Jordan H., Camper
both fun and challenging!
July 24, 2019: The amount of attention my daughter received from the instructors was amazing. She gained a lot of confidence in her abilities and everyone at the camp made the experience both fun and challenging. She learned a ton, Thank you!
— Thomas W. Parent
Great Experience and Staff!
July 23, 2019: Upon pick up and for our returning trip home my daughter was bursting with enthusiasm for techniques learned and for experiences shared with coaching staff and her fellow campers. She could not say enough good things about the entire coaching staff.
— Eric K. Parent
June 25, 2018: I would absolutely recommend this camp. My daughter had so much fun, improved her skills and felt she learned so much. As her parents, we saw her gain confidence in herself. That was the best part.
— Camille P. Parent
June 23, 2017: The instruction and instructors were excellent! My daughter was never trained by a goalie coach, she finally learned how to move her feet and was taught drills that she can practice at home.
— Chloe E. Parent
June 23, 2017: It was a great camp! They're coming home with drills that they want to practice and feel more confident about their skills. Thank you!
— Sarah J. Parent
June 23, 2017: Goalie Wars!! Loved the opportunity to play field positions and get more comfortable outside of the crease.
— Olivia T. Camper
The best goalies on the field often have one thing in common - they've been to this camp!
June 25, 2016: Our daughter has attended The Goalie School camp two years in a row - hands down her favorite camp and the best quality instruction. Coach Pilat and Coach Schwartz run an excellent camp. Too many camps have the goalies there as target practice for the shooters. TGS is quality focus on how to be the best goalie you can be. We've been to various tryouts and showcases, and you know we goalie parents seem to find each other and talk. The best goalies on the field often have one thing in common - they've been to this camp. C.D., parent of a camper from PA
— Barbara R. Parent
June 25, 2016: Girls Goalie camp was an outstanding experience for my daughter. She really enjoyed meeting new friends from across the Country and playing in the "goalie games" every evening. The instruction from staff was very knowledgeable and engaging! The staff was great at providing one on one time with all the girls and the camp site at Roanoke College was perfect!
— Paris R. Parent
It's a lot of fun!
June 24, 2016: I really enjoyed meeting other goalies and getting time to identify specific goalie skills and work on them. I think this camp is great if you're a beginner or you've been playing for years. It was nice to get different perspectives from new coaches, and I plan to use their ideas at my teams at school and club. However, going into the camp, expect that you will need to take the information the coaches give you and individualize it to your own style and skill level, and what helps you save goals! I like that they gave us choices in how to do certain skills, to suit our style. It's a lot of fun and great for goalies!
— Sophie C. Camper
June 23, 2016: This camp has great instruction for building skills specific to goal keepers, and it will pay dividends on increasing overall performance. Our daughter returned from camp motivated to work on her craft. We can already see an increase in her confidence because of the great instruction. Many thanks and we will be back for the next camp!
— Hillary M. Parent
Excellent camp for goalies!
June 22, 2016: This was an excellent camp for goalies. My daughter, who previously decided to never go to another camp as a goalie because she was tired of being cannon fodder for the other campers, is planning on returning to this camp next year.
— Anna L. Parent
June 29, 2015: Hi Coach Schwartz! My daughter attended your Goalie camp in Roanoke, VA this past summer. She had a wonderful time and it couldn't have come at a better time for her right before she played in the Inside Lacrosse Women's Invitational in Baltimore, MD. She actually ranked 8 out of 12 against other goalies who were all older than her and had played longer in the goal.
— Sophia P. Parent
Best camp ever!
June 28, 2015: I just wanted to tell you that my daughter attended your Goalie School last week and it was by far the best camp ever! I promise we have spent a lot of money on camps and private lessons and she learned so much at your camp. Most camps simply don't focus enough on goalie instruction! This was by far the best choice and investment we have ever made in our childs future as a goalie.
— Olivia E. Parent
June 27, 2015: Just wanted to let you know that my daughter received an award from her coach for specialist of the year! She has progressed as she has because of what she’s learned from your camps. Thank you!
— Jim N. Parent
SECURE YOUR SPOT – CAMPS SELL OUT!
Last year over 650 Sports Camps sold out, leaving 7,000+ campers on the waitlist. Due to high demand, early registration for our first-come-first-serve camps is strongly recommended.