Nike Tennis Camp at University of Virginia
Improve your game and have serious fun
at Nike Tennis Camps
Steeped in tradition and with state-of-the-art facilities, the Charlottesville Nike Tennis Camps are the perfect blend of expert instruction and fun both on and off the court!
- Daily instruction from UVA coaching staff
- 5-6 hours daily instruction, low camper to staff ratio
- Nike Tennis Camp T-shirt and prizes
- View More Details ⟩
Co-Director Andres Pedroso
On May 24, 2017, Andres Pedroso was named the Cavaliers' director of tennis and head men's tennis coach, overseeing both the men's and women's tennis programs while also serving as the head coach of Virginia men's tennis.View Andres's Bio & Tennis Tips ⟩
Pedroso served as Virginia's associate head coach from 2010-14. During that four-year span, the Cavaliers won four ACC championships, the program's first NCAA championship (2013) and two ITA National Team Indoor titles (2011 and 2013). Pedroso coached six All-Americans during this time, including 2013 ITA National Player of the Year Jarmere Jenkins, the 2013 NCAA Doubles Champion team of Jenkins and Mac Styslinger and ITA All-American champions Alex Domijan and Mitchell Frank. Pedroso was named the 2014 ITA National Assistant Coach of the Year and he was twice honored as the ITA Atlantic Region Assistant Coach of the Year (2012 and 2014).
As the director of tennis, Pedroso will be charged with oversight of both programs while serving as the head coach of the men's tennis program. Several top-ranked tennis programs have successfully implemented the Director of Tennis model. This model will enable the UVA men's and women's programs to collaborate and make the best use of all available resources while sharing a joint vision for success that meets the goals set by the Virginia athletics department.
As a student-athlete at Duke, Pedroso helped lead the Blue Devils to four ACC titles, he was a two-time All-American and he was named to the ACC 50th Anniversary Team. Over eight seasons, as a player at Duke and a coach at Virginia, Pedroso has not lost a team match against a conference opponent.
Following his college career at Duke, Pedroso played professionally for four years, reaching career-high rankings of No. 271 in singles and No. 255 in doubles. During his pro career, he won four singles titles and two doubles titles on the Futures Tour and a doubles title on the Challenger Tour.
Pedroso first came to Virginia after serving as a national coach for USTA Player Development. During his time with the USTA, he was responsible for the development of the top male American junior players born in 1995. He also worked periodically with several top American professional players, including Sam Querrey, Mardy Fish, Jesse Levine and Ryan Harrison.
Tennis Tips by Andres:
Co-Director Scott Brown
Scott Brown returned to Virginia in August of 2017 as the men's tennis assistant coach.View Scott's Bio ⟩
Brown previously served as a volunteer assistant coach for the Cavaliers from 2010-15, working alongside then-assistant coach Pedroso in four of his five seasons in Charlottesville. During Brown's previous stint at UVA, the Cavaliers won five ACC championships, two NCAA championships (2013 and 2015) and two ITA National Team Indoor titles (2011 and 2013). Also under Brown's tutelage, Ryan Shane won the 2015 NCAA singles title and Jarmere Jenkins and Mac Styslinger won the 2013 NCAA doubles championship.
Since leaving Virginia following the 2015 season, Brown has served as the senior high performance coach at the Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, Md., where he has been responsible for coaching and mentoring up-and-coming male tennis players at the national and international junior level. He also served as UVA then-senior Ryan Shane's personal coach at the 2015 U.S. Open.
A 2005 graduate of Vanderbilt, Brown helped the Commodores to the NCAA Tournament final and the SEC championship in 2003. He was a four-time All-SEC selection and still holds the Vanderbilt records for career doubles wins (87) and is second in combined wins (176). He was ranked as high as No. 17 nationally in singles and No. 4 nationally in doubles during his collegiate career. During his junior career, Brown was ranked No. 1 nationally in doubles in the USTA Boys 18 rankings and in the top 10 nationally in singles.
2023 CAMP DATES
- June 18-22 (+Tournament Training)
- June 25-29
- July 9-13
- July 16-20 (+Tournament Training)
- July 30-August 3
We are offering three weeks of Day (9:00am-4:00pm) and Overnight Camp sessions for campers ages 9-18.
All sessions are open to players of all abilities. Upon arrival, all participants are evaluated by the staff so that their own instructional needs can be addressed throughout the week.
- All Skills Program: The All Skills program is designed for tennis players of any skill level and background. Campers will learn fundamentals and improve upon their game.
- Tournament Training: We are hosting a Tournament Training session geared towards tournament-level and ranked players, ages 9-18, looking to improve their tournament results, learn winning strategies, and work on mental toughness.
- Check-In: All campers from 1:30pm-3:00pm at Dunglison dorms on the first day of camp. All campers will walk from the dorms to the Snyder Tennis Courts at 3:00pm. Day Campers will depart Sunday at 5:00pm.
- Check-out: Awards Ceremony: Thursday 11:00am-11:30am at the Snyder Tennis Center. Parents and guardians are welcome to attend! Check-out is Thursday 12:00pm-1:30pm at the dorms. All campers are to be checked out at the dorms. Please note: Campers whose parents/guardians do not attend the award ceremony will go to lunch after the awards (12-1pm) and then go to the dorms for check-out 1:00pm-1:30pm.
- Day Camper Drop-off/pick-up: Drop-Off for Day Campers is between 8:30am-8:45am Monday-Thursday at the tennis courts. Pick-up is at the Snyder Tennis Courts Sunday-Wednesday. Pick-up on Thursday will be at the dorms.
- Day Camper Schedule: Sunday: 3:30pm-5:00pm, Monday-Wednesday 9:00am-4:00pm, Thursday: 9:00am-1:30pm
- Overnight Campers: All meals are included starting with dinner on the first day and ending with breakfast on the last day.
- Day Campers: Lunch is included Monday-Wednesday.
- Meal Card: There will be a $25 charge for a lost meal card
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE FEE?
- Instruction: Daily tennis training, morning and afternoon sessions
- Housing: Dormitory housing on campus for overnight campers
- Meals: All meals are provided for overnight campers. Lunch is provided for day campers.
- Supervision: Staff members reside in rooms strategically placed throughout the dorm to provide optimal supervision and participate in all activities
- Camp T-shirt & Prizes: All campers receive a Nike Tennis Camps t-shirt and prizes
INSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT & FACILITY
- Ratio: 5:1 camper-to-coach ratio
- Groupings: Campers are grouped by age, ability, and experience
- Equipment Needed: All campers must bring a tennis racquet, tennis shoes, and a water bottle
- Facility: Campers will play at UVA's official tennis courts located at Boar's Head Resort
- Inclement Weather Plan: In the event of extreme heat/rain we will be advised to move indoors.
- Medical Protocol: UVA does have an athletic trainer on-site during camp. In case of an emergency, campers will be transported to the nearest hospital
HOUSING (Subject to Change)
- Dorm: University of Virginia - Dunglison Dorms
- Dorm Address: 775 Alderman Rd, Charlottesville, VA 22903 (across from football stadium)
- Number of Campers per Room: 2 campers per room. Each dorm is suite style with 5 rooms with off the common area and shared bathroom. The is also a shared mini fridge in the common area.
- Roommates: Rooms are assigned by age & roommate requests. Roommate requests must be mutual and received no later than 14 days before the start of camp. If you don't have a roommate request, you will be placed in a room with someone near your age. It will be a great opportunity to meet someone new!
- Linens: Bed linens are NOT provided. Please bring Twin XL sheets or sleeping bag, blanket, towel, facecloth, and pillow
- Room Card: There will be a $25 charge for lost room cards
- Air Conditioning: The dorms do have A/C. Campers are still encouraged to bring a fan
- Evening Activities: Sample evening activities include movies, swimming, games, charades, soccer, basketball, making s'mores, and walking to get ice cream.
- Weekend Stayover: Not available at this location
Nike Tennis Camps do not provide transportation to/from camp from the airport, train stations, or bus depots. If you fly into camp, we recommend that you fly into Washington Dulles Airport, Richmond International, or Charlottesville Regional and schedule a shuttle from the airport to camp. You can arrange local shuttle transportation through:
- Dulles: www.metwashairports.com/dulles... International
- Groome Transportation: Shared ride, door-to-door, shuttle, and charter services at Richmond International Airport. Groome's offices are located on the lower level of the terminal building near the baggage claim area. To schedule travel with Groome Transportation, call 804-222-7222 or toll-free 1-800-552-7911 or www.groometransportation.com.
PREPARE FOR CAMP: COMPLETE YOUR PRE-CAMP CHECKLIST
To view your customer account, complete your mandatory forms, pay balance dues, and review important camp information, visit Pre-Camp Checklist. All necessary camp information is on this page. If there are any imperative changes prior to camp start, registered campers will be notified via email and this webpage will be updated!
CHECKLIST OF THINGS TO BRING
Below is a suggested list of clothes, equipment, and personal items. US Sports Camps is NOT responsible for lost or stolen articles or money.
Athletic, on-court tennis clothing
Tennis shoes (no running shoes)
Sweatshirt/warm-up jacket and pants
Signed Health & Release forms and waivers (forms completed online do not need to be printed and turned in at camp)
OVERNIGHT CAMPERS ONLY:
Athletic clothing mentioned above (1-2 pairs/day)
Comfortable off-court clothing (pants/shorts, t-shirts, sweatshirts 1 paid/day)
Swimsuit and towel (subject to change)
Shower flip flops
Toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, body wash, face wash, hairbrush, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, etc.)
Personal items & medications
Washcloth and bath towel
Bed sheets (if linens are not provided)
Comforter/blanket (if linens are not provided)
Pillow/pillow case (if linens are not provided)
For information regarding our cancellation policy and all other company policies, please visit USSC Policies.
NIKE TENNIS CAMP FAQ
For general questions about our tennis camps please see our FAQ page
Maximize your camp experience with SwingVision, an iPhone app that provides the following benefits when you record your play: watch a full match in 20 minutes with the dead-time automatically removed, view stats like shot placement, court positioning, shot speed, and consistency for each shot type, filter to particular shot or point types and easily create highlight videos of certain points or shots, access video analysis, and stats immediately after you finish recording, all on unlimited cloud storage.
Camps are open to any and all entrants, limited only by number, age, grade level, and/or gender.
Show Less See More Camp Details
Camp Code: TNXRVA
Sample Daily Schedule
- 8:00am Wake-up/breakfast
- 9:00am-Noon Morning Tennis Session (drills and instruction)
- Noon-1:00pm Lunch
- 1:30pm-4:00pm Afternoon Tennis Session – drilling, match play and conditioning
- 4:30pm Day Campers Depart
- 5:30pm Dinner/free time
- 7:00pm Evening activity
- 10:30pm Lights Out
Camp ReviewsSubmit a review
Overall Average RatingStars
July 23, 2021: Ivy was greeted and felt comfortable and encouraged immediately upon arrival. She made friends. She enjoyed the games and the pace (fast, never boring, but never so fast as to be confusing). The camp coaches, especially Coach James, kept Ivy laughing and were super entertaining! The camp was also very well organized and they were well positioned to deal with minor snafus like her forgotten lunchbox and broken racquet strings (which turned into favorite memories also)! Ivy is definitely looking forward to returning again next year where we hope an overnight camp becomes an option. Overall I’m extremely impressed.
— Angie T., Parent
We'll be back next year!
July 23, 2021: Mallory had a great time. The instructors provided her with personal attention and were friendly. The camp atmosphere was upbeat and fun. There was plenty of breaks with water provided in the hot Virginia weather. Mallory would talk for hours at night after camp about what she learned, the other campers she met, and how fun the coaches were. It was a very positive experience and we will be back next year. Thank you for a great first tennis camp experience.
— Courtney M., Parent
William really enjoyed how enthusiastic the coaches were! He felt very challenged and liked that they helped each player at the level they were at.
— April H., Parent
Did not want camp to end!
July 17, 2021: Turi did not want this camp to end. His experience was probably the most positive one I have seen him have so far in his young (9 years old) life. Though I loved seeing the awesome positive energy and focus of all the coaching staff, I attribute the positive environment largely to the unbridled enthusiasm and positive influence of Brian Rasmussen. He is a force.
— Maggie G., Parent
Gained confidence at camp
July 16, 2021: This camp and its staff were so welcoming, and Zoe was nervous coming in. I saw that she made friends and actually enjoyed playing and learning despite the really hot weather all week. Knowing her, she would not have wanted to play after the first day in this heat if she didn't like it! The camp brought her out of her shell and gave her some confidence. Thank you!!
— Mila Z., Parent
July 16, 2021: Daniel enjoyed being able to play tennis while building camaraderie with fellow campers and coaches. He was always excited being there and came home talking about some of the good plays that occurred that day.
— Chris S., Parent
Coaching staff is fantastic
July 16, 2021: My family has been attending the Nike tennis camps held by the UVA tennis staff for 3 summers. My daughters play tennis competitively throughout the year, and the Nike tennis camp has become a highlight of their training as they get to play with other fantastic players in a non-tournament structure. The coaching staff is fantastic as well, making each day in the court informative and fun!
— Mary D., Parent
Loved the coaches
June 26, 2021: Dalton loved the coaches. All of them. They all taught a little different but he really loved them and talked a lot about them all week. He said he felt like he was getting better every day
— Nicole W., Parent
June 14, 2021: They LOVED it and cannot wait to go back next year. They learned so much and had a blast!!!!
— Natalie M., Parent
So much excitement and improvement
June 12, 2021: Lucas has always enjoyed tennis but was frustrated with his slow progress over the past couple years and that he was still just a mediocre player. After the first day at camp he excitedly told us he had already improved so much that he wanted to play a match with us to show us his new skills! His excitement and progress continued through the week as the coaches shared their amazing teaching skills and made everything so fun and engaging for everyone. Thank you!
— Jenna V., Parent
Wonderful time at camp
June 12, 2021: Ilias had a wonderful time at camp this past week. And thank you for giving him a good workout so he was exhausted at the end of the day!
— Jessica P., Parent
Loved every minute of camp
July 21, 2019: Our son had awesome time and loved every minute of the camp. His game has improved 100% thanks to your staff who made this happen. He is looking forward to returning next year. Until then keep up the good work. Thank you very much.
— Tony R. - Parent
Some of the best memories of their lives from this camp
July 13, 2019: The folks at this camp consistently exceed all expectations. The environment that Mr. Powless and his staff create is one of the most uniquely welcoming I have ever had the pleasure to witness and both of our children (having attended for multiple years) have some of the best memories of their lives from this camp.
— Ragan M. - Parent
Already asked us about attending next year
June 28, 2019: It was his first time attending a full week camp like this, so we weren't sure how he'd hold-up. However, he had a really good time each day, and he has already asked us about attending next year. It seemed to be very well run, and I think the camp instructors clicked very well with the kids.
— Jeff W. - Parent
Wonderful camp experience
July 02, 2018: Wonderful first camp experience! Tennis great too! Have the awards ceremony outside instead of the lobby. Better directions to the dorm!
— Brent H. - Parent
Would love to go back!
July 10, 2018: Being able to play tennis for hours and be with amazing people. I think it would be a bit nicer if the coaches were a little bit more involved with improving the players hitting and serving but other than that it was amazing experience would love to go back!
— Mary C. - Parent
All around fantastic camp!
July 13, 2018: Harrison had a terrific time during group lessons and said his game improved tremendously. All around fantastic camp!
— Alexis S. - Parent
Enjoyed meeting Brian Boland
July 06, 2017: He enjoyed meeting Brian Boland and having a picture with him. The director of the camp was engaged but the first day he had to tell each coach what to do. It would be better if all of them were ready to start with drills and not to lose time teaching the coaches what to do. I was not there every day but the last day I observed that one of the coaches was not putting the effort to even return the balls.
— Jose M. Parent
Learned skills to improve his play
July 06, 2017: Enjoyed playing with other kids and interacting with camp staff. Enjoyed learning to skills to improve his play. Especially enjoyed the dining hall! ;) A more structured free time might be helpful for younger/day campers.
— Kristin B. Parent
Look forward to next day
July 06, 2017: Always looking forward for the next day. Highly positive spirit!!!
— Kamel. Parent
Loved it all
July 6, 2017: Excellent experience; she loved it and can't wait to come back next year. Tennis was awesome - super instruction.The food was excellent.The dorm was top-notch.The friends were great and excellent older girl role-models as counselors, etc.She felt 100% safe at all times and we did too!
— Rahul S. Parent
Thank you for a great camp!
July 17, 2017: Matthew learned new aspects of the sport, he enjoyed match play and meeting new people.
— Mary R. Parent
July 8, 2017: The counselours were very nice. The free time was perfect where the kids could do what the wanted but still be safe. He liked playing matches.
— Anne R. Parent
drills, instruction and tipswere excellent
July 30, 2016: My son had a fabulous time! And the drills and instruction/tips he received were excellent. He loved the involvement of the UVA men's tennis team (fitness trainer, coach, assistant coach). We would have loved more interaction with the team members.
— Catherine S. Parent
enjoyed the instruction
July 28, 2016: I enjoyed the instruction and meeting new friends!
— Alexandra K. Camper
Camp was lots of fun
July 28, 2016: Thanks! Camp was lots of fun!
— Ben P. Camper
should advise campers to bring alarm clocks
7/28/2016 - Please update pack list to suggest bringing alarm clock; camper was only 9 y.o. so & did not have phone/alarm and was reprimanded for being late. Also, more organized p.m. activities might be nice.
— Beth M. Parent
7/23/2015 - Hope will be back next year !!! She loved it! She also plays for her school at Holton Arms in Bethesda MD. We will recommend this camp to the coach!
— Tracy H. Parent
coaches are passionate about tennis and mentoring young players
7/23/2015 - Coach Boland, team (Malcolm Peace, Joey Manilla, Melvin Harris, Gordon Peace...) and guests (Pat Etcheberry...) are passionate about tennis and mentoring young players. They gave the kids good advice... Great job!!!
— Theodore K. Parent
more education on form and technique
7/8/2015 - Staff very nice. As a parent, I want more education on form and technique.
— Cris P. Parent
really loved the camp
7/8/2015 - I really loved the camp, but I wish there would have been more bonding throughout the week, it would have just added to the comfort level of the teaching environment.
— Valerie S. Camper
camp was outstanding
7/2/2015 - My son has always been very passionate about tennis, and this camp was outstanding. He loved it and will definitely come back.
— Rich K. Parent
coaches were nice and fun
7/2/2015 - The coaches were nice and fun, and the program was fun.
— Shelby B. Camper
can't wait to go back next year
7/2/2015 - Jackson loved tennis camp and can't wait to go back next year!
— Jill Y. Parent
SECURE YOUR SPOT – CAMPS SELL OUT!
Last year over 650 Sports Camps sold out, leaving 7,000+ campers on the waitlist. Due to high demand, early registration for our first-come-first-serve camps is strongly recommended.