Soccer Tip: Turning Defense to Attack
Video Tip by Nike Soccer Camps on how to turn defense to attack.
Turning Defense to Attack
Ball Control and Playing Loose
- Defenders must be comfortable on the ball
- Defenders should be skilled at both running with the ball and passing
- Defenders must be relaxed under pressure and able to turn a defensive effort into a counterattack
- The fullbacks should be used as the first line of attack
- Fullbacks require speed, strength, vision and distribution skills
Quick Ball Movement
- Being able to move the ball swiftly and accurately will create pressure on the opposing team.
- Passing the ball to a teammate in an advanced position is helpful in creating an attacking move.
- A quick counterattack will leave many of the opposing players behind and create space when pushing for goal.
Defending Remains a Priority
- Defenders should focus on defending first.
- Don’t let up in order to anticipate an attack until the team has total possession.
- If you get caught sleeping and only focusing on attacking from the back, your opponent will beat you.