Pro Sports Basketball Camp, Caldwell College - International Programs Caldwell, New Jersey
Welcome to the 2014 Nike Sport and Language programs at Caldwell College. These special multi-week programs are designed to improve both your basketball and English skills.
A camper's favorite, this Nike program offers daily basketball training sessions (Sunday-Thursday) guaranteed to improve your shooting, passing, dribbling, rebounding and defensive skills. Located in Caldwell, New Jersey, this camp is also close to JFK airport and the price includes airport transportation to and from camp.
While campers will live and breathe Basketball at Caldwell, campers also have the opportunity to add language classes to their program to improve not only their hardwood skills but their English as well. Fun is always in the mix as evening games and team scrimmages build comraderie and competition. Weekend programs allow international campers the chance to see and explore nearby New York City with its iconic landmarks such as the Statue of Liberty and Times Square. Each weekend, director Vinny Carlesi will escort campers to surrounding areas of interest where kids will be kids. 2012 favorites including taking in a major league baseball game at Yankees Stadium, to shopping the outlet malls or unwinding at a local water park or amusement park. While the weekend activities are meant to be a rest from basketball, these weekend programs are packed with fun. Come Sunday afternoon, campers get back to basketball when a new session begins.
The language program consists of 12 English classes per week, held in the afternoon, combined with a morning basketball training and evening sessions of basketball games. During the language program, campers will reside on site at camp. Sport+Language programs are designed for campers aged 10-17.
Directing the camp is Ken Webb. Coach Webb was an All American D-1 Collegiate player at Fairleigh Dickinson and was drafted by the New Jersey Nets. He played professionally both in the US and in Europe for 16 years. He now coaches professionally in Denmark when not coaching at Caldwell.
- LECTURES - Lectures are given on the fundamentals of the game. Remember it is through the proper execution of fundamentals that you will become a good basketball player.
- DRILLS - Drills are used to teach campers the skills necessary to succeed and the notion of teamwork.
- STATIONS - When performing stations, campers will be broken down to no more than 10-15 campers per basket. At each basket is one or more of our professional coaches. Each station will last approximately 20 minutes. During this time a specific aspect of the game will be covered, for example, rebounding, dribbling, foul shooting, etc.
- INSTRUCTIONAL GAMES - We want every moment of the week to be a learning experience for every camper. It is for this reason that during games, if a camper makes a mistake or does not execute properly, one of our coaches will show him/her what he/she did wrong and how to do it right. It’s another way of instructing our campers, and leaves them more knowledgeable and improved in their skills.
- 12 (50 minutes) language sessions per week - held Monday through Thursday
- Fun evening and weekend camp activities that include trips to NYC, shopping excursions, visits to water parks and amusement parks and more!
- Transportation to all activities and airport transfers.
Located in the picturesque town of Caldwell, New Jersey, Caldwell was recently voted the third best place to live in all of New Jersey by New Jersey Monthly Magazine.
Campers train at the George R. Newman Center which officially opened on the campus of Caldwell College in June 2002. This 60,000 square-foot, state-of-the-art facility will be home to the offices of the Department of Athletics and features a 1,600 seat basketball arena, a fitness center with all the health club amenities, team and general locker rooms, aerobic room, a suspended track, meeting and game rooms and the College Bookstore.
Ken Webb, Head basketball instructor at the Professional Sports Basketball Camp was an All-American at Fairleigh Dickinson University, and was drafted by the New Jersey Nets. He played professional basketball in Europe for 15 years and has coached professional basketball teams for the past 15 years. Currently Coach Web is coaching a professional basketball team in Denmark. Ken has been with the Professional Sports Basketball Camp for the past 18 years.
Program dates: Jun. 22 - Jul. 3, Jun. 22 - Jul. 10, Jun. 22 - Jul. 17, Jun. 22 - Jul. 24, Jun. 29 - Jul. 10, Jun. 29 - Jul. 17, Jun. 29 - Jul. 24, Jun. 29 - Jul. 31, Jul. 6 - Jul. 17, Jul. 6 - Jul. 24, Jul. 6 - Jul. 31, Jul. 6 - Aug. 7, Jul. 13 - Jul. 24, Jul. 13 - Jul. 31, Jul. 13 - Aug. 7, Jul. 20 - Jul. 31, Jul. 20 - Aug. 7, Jul. 27 - Aug. 7
ELS Language Check-in
June 22, 29, or July 6, 13, 20, or 27. Campers will be met at the airport by ELS staff.
Check-in & Check-out
Camp Check-in - 13:00-15:00 Sunday
Camp Check-out - sessions end on Thursday at 16:00
In 2014 we are offering five weeks of Nike Basketball Camp at Caldwell. Camper can choose a combined sport and language program or a sport only program. If you choose the combined sport and language program, language classes will be offered daily Monday through Thursday from 1-4PM and will be provided by ELS directly on the Caldwell College Campus. These are specifically designed camp programs just for international campers wanting to improve their language skills. ELS language instruction/material fees, basketball skills instruction, housing/meals, weekend activites and round-trip airport pickup are included.
Designed for students 9-18, the language program is combined with a sport as ½ language, ½ day sport program. Campers receive 15 lessons per week followed by fun afternoon activities or sport training. The end result of this unique sport and language program is to enable campers to speak English more confidently, make new American Friends and get better at the sport they love!
How does the program work?
Campers can choose the number of weeks they want to participate - up to five weeks! A sample daily schedule is below. Just choose the weeks you want to attend and register. It's just that easy. Everything is included, except camper spending money - we suggest $100 per week. Campers only need to bring their enthusiasm, a willingness to learn, and a desire to have fun and meet lots of new friends!
Logistics and Travel
Designated Airport: John F. Kennedy International Airport or Newark Liberty International Airport
Travel: International campers must complete a travel form in order to guarantee pick up at the airport. Travel forms will be included in your camp registration package which will be availabl in Mid May. Please note, Parents should plan their children's international flights home with extra time provided to get to the airport after a camp session. Except for the July 28th session, campers may elect to add an additional night or a full weekend after camp, to accomodate international flight schedules. There is a charge of $125 for each additional night. This charge includes meals.
Early arrivals & late departures: There is a $125 fee per day to accommodate campers arriving early or staying beyond the final day of their registered session. This fee includes housing and meals. Please note that our camp staff cannot receive early campers prior to Sunday, June 22 (the first day of our first session), nor may campers stay past Thursday, August 7 (the final day of our last session). You should be aware that the airlines may charge an additional fee for unaccompanied minors (usually ages 14 or below). Check with the appropriate airlines as fees and regulations vary.
Weekend Programs are included in your tuition and include any activity fees for weekend excursions and transportation. Weekend program begins after the last basketball training session on Thursday afternoon (16:00) and end when the new camp session begins on Sunday at 13:00
Instruction will be provided by ELS a leader in international education. Students in this program will improve all core English skills: speaking, listening, reading, writing and grammar. Classes are communicative in nature and offer planty of opportunities for speaking practice. We offer 3 language sessions per day (50 minutes each). Language starts at (1:00 pm and ends at 4:00 pm)
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. Our health and release forms do not require a doctor's signature and they will be collected on the first day of camp. International camper must have health insurance valid in the US in order to attend camps.
Local Accommodations for Parents
For parents who are traveling with their kids from out of town and need a place to stay near camp, we recommend the Wilshire Grand Hotel. Please call 973-731-7007 or Click Here to reserve your room.
Sample Daily Schedule
- Check-in Day (Sunday) Camp Check-in 13:00-22:00 Arrive in the US - pick up at John F. Kennedy or Newark Liberty International Airport - Welcome, Sport Evaluation, Dinner and 1st Basketball training
- Daily Schedule
- 7:30-8:15 Breakfast
- 8:30 Campers to Gym - Stretching and Warm-up
- 8:45-10:15 Basketball Training - Passing, Shooting, Court Positioning
- 10:15 Break
- 10:30-12:00 Basketball Training - Tactical Game Skills
- 12:00-13:00 Lunch
- 13:00-15:00 ELS Language Classes - Grammar, Listening discussion, vocabulary, reading
- 16:00 -17:00 ELS Language Classes - Conversational Activities, writing, music
- 17:00-18:00 Dinner
- 18:00-19:00 Free Time
- 19:00-21:00 Basketball Scrimmage and League Play
- 21:00-22:00 Games, Rec Room, Contests
- 22:30 Campers to rooms - Lights out
• Safety: 24-hour supervision is an important feature of every Pro Sports Basketball Camp. Staff members reside in campers’ quarters and participate in all activities.
• Medical Staff: Trainer on call at all time
• Instruction: 6:1 camper to coach ratio during basketball instruction. Language class size is 15 students. Supervision ratio during evening and all activities is 10:1 student to staff ratio.
• Recommended Spending Money: $100 per week
• Housing: Standard-style dorms on campus. Campers stay 2 to a room. Genders separated by floor.
• All-inclusive tuition: Covers language instruction, sport instruction, housing, meals, roundtrip airport transfers, weekend stayover(s), activities and supplemental health insurance.
• Registration Packet: A detailed camper registration packet containing check-in location, health & release forms, emergency contact info, and a packing list will be emailed to all registered campers in spring 2014.