Charleston Nike Tennis Camp Charleston, South Carolina
Click to enlarge and view gallery »
US Sports proudly presents the seventh season of the Nike Tennis Camp in Charleston, South Carolina. This fun summer camp provides each camper with new tennis skills and the inspiration and self confidence to continue improving.
This junior tennis camp is designed for players of all levels looking to improve their game and have fun while doing it! These summer camp sessions are an awesome way to improve your game quickly, as players are given a chance to play tennis up to 5 hours a day. Join us and make new friends while enjoying nightly group activities and great accommodations.
"We base our camp on balance....good tennis and great fun! We encourage and teach our campers to truly understand stroke fundamentals and basic match play strategies. More than anything, we want our campers to enjoy this lifetime game long after they leave camp. Get ready to have fun and see your game improve!' - Coach Whitesell
Dartfish video analysis offered at this camp! See details tab for more info.
- 5-6 hours of daily instruction with low camper to staff ratio and 24 hour supervision
- Daily instruction from Tennis Professional Phil Whitesell, and his experienced staff
- Every camper receives a Nike Tennis Camp T-shirt
- Fun off-court evening activities for overnight campers
Charleston is one of America’s most beautifully preserved architectural and historic treasures with a rich 300 year heritage. Campers will play tennis at the Hamlin Plantation's beautiful tennis facility located a short distance from The College of Charleston.Meet your coaching staff
- Returning camp director of the Nike Tennis Camp
- Former Women’s professional tennis coach on WTA tour (Most notably coached Brenda-Schultz McCarthy top 10 WTA tour and Meredith McGrath Semi-Finalist Wimbledon)
- Three time NCAA Division I tennis team champion at The University of Southern Cal
- Currently coaching local Charleston juniors and adults at The Club at Hamlin Plantation.
Camp Director, Coach Whitesell, carefully selects and trains his staff, which consists of teaching professionals and college players who are friendly, enthusiastic and committed to the tennis development and well-being of each camper.
2014 Camp Information
(Camp Code: TNXRCC)
This year we are offering two weeks of overnight and day camp (9:00am-4:00pm) for ages 10-18 of all skill levels. Each day will include morning and afternoon tennis sessions consisting of instruction, drills and match play. Demonstrations will divide each session into different segments. Swimming is available in the afternoon for all campers.
Tournament Training and High School Sessions:
In addition to the general camp sessions, this year we are offering tournament training and high school sessions during certain weeks of camp. Make sure to note that you would like to participate in these programs when you register.
- The tournament training program is geared towards tournament level and ranked players looking to improve their tournament results, learn winning strategies, and work on mental toughness.
- The high school session is provided for players currently on their high school team and wanting to move up the ladder or those planning on making the high school team.
10 and Under Tennis:
In addition, we offer a “10 and Under Tennis” program, featuring the USTA’s successful new teaching format. This is an exciting new way kids 10 and under are learning to play tennis as well as compete. The courts are smaller and balls are low-compression so they are easier to hit, allowing kids to get to the ball and develop optimal swing patterns. It all makes it easy and fun for them to hit, play and score from the start, while developing skills that will last a lifetime. Please note: This program is optional and younger campers may opt to play regular tennis on the full courts. For more information on “10 and Under Tennis” programs nationwide, Click Here to check out the USTA website.
Upon arrival, all participants are evaluated by the staff so that their own instructional needs can be addressed throughout the week.
Dartfish video analysis will be used during the camp to analyze and improve your strokes and is provided at no extra charge for all campers. See your strokes compared to a top playing professional! Your Dartfish Mediabook will be posted to a private player locker on Dartfish.tv and reviewed with you by the staff at camp (click here for an example). The package includes:
- Stroke Analysis: Your Dartfish Mediabook contains videos of your strokes, plus side-by-side comparison with a pro, along with comments.
- Pro Stroke Library: Three months of access to Pro Stroke Library, featuring hundreds of strokes in both real and high speed.
- Camp highlights video*: This video of camp activities and friends all set to music will be something everyone will want to have and keep forever. (*Only offered at participating locations.)
• Day camp runs Monday-Friday from 9:00am-4:00pm
• Check-In: 8:30am on Monday at Hamlin Plantation
• Graduation: 9:00am on Friday at the tennis courts for all campers. Graduation is followed by a tennis tournament. Parents are encouraged to attend!
• Check Out: 4:00pm on Friday.
• Meet each day at Hamlin Plantation.
• Campers bring their own lunch each day
• Check-In: 1:30 -2:00pm. Sunday at the College of Charleston dorms (name TBD).
• Graduation: 9:00am on Friday at the tennis courts for all campers. Graduation is followed by a tennis tournament. Parents are encouraged to attend.
• Check Out: 4:00pm on Friday.
• Campers will be shuttled to Hamilton Plantation from the College via a private bus service each day.
• All meals are included for overnight campers.
Campers will play at the Hamlin Plantation's tennis facility with 5 lit courts, located a short distance from The College of Charleston. In the event of rain, indoor facilities are available for activities.
Overnight campers will reside in the dorms (name TBD) on The College of Charleston campus which offer stunning scenery and ideal weather for a fantastic tennis camp experience. Campers stay 2 per room in suites with 2 or 3 rooms/suite. There is A/C in the dorms. Fridges available in the rooms for campers. Campers are assigned by age and roommate requests.
Off-Court and Evening Activities
Overnight campers will also participate in a variety of supervised activities ranging from movie night, talent show, tour of College of Charleston campus, camp dance night and a trip to Blackbeard’s Cove Family Fun Park.
Weekend Stayovers: Weekend Stayovers are not available at this location
Designated Airport: Charleston
Nike Tennis Camp does not provide any transportation to/from camp from airport, train stations or bus depots. If you fly into camp, we recommend that you fly into Charleston Airport and schedule a shuttle from the airport to camp. You can find information about available ground transportation options at http://www.chs-airport.com/taxi.htm.
If you have a camper arriving by air and is deemed an “unaccompanied minor” by the airlines and must be met by a camp staff or shuttle company employee, there may be a fee that needs to be paid in advance of camp. You will still have to arrange transportation to/from camp. Please call 1-800-645-3226 two weeks prior to camp to provide camper’s flight and shuttle information.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. Our health and release forms do not require a doctor's signature and they will be collected on the first day of camp.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:30am Rise and Shine
- 7:45am-8:15am Breakfast
- 8:45am Campers to the courts for stretching/warm-up
- 9:00am-Noon Drills, skill instruction, strategy, video, conditioning
- Noon-1:00pm Catered Lunch
- 1:30pm Mental Training
- 1:00pm-4:00pm Match Play/Team Tennis
- 4:00pm Free time - swimming, back to dorms
- 6;00pm Dinner
- 7:00pm Evening activities
- 10:00pm Campers back to their rooms. Lights out!