Nike Tennis Camps, University of San Diego - International Programs San Diego, California
Combine one the most popular Nike Tennis Camps with language classes at the University of San Diego this summer! "Come work hard, improve your game and make new friends. We focus on sportsmanship, individual improvement and having tons of fun both on and off the court." - Coach Bill Scott
In addition to our popular Nike Tennis Program which runs for 6 weeks during the summer of 2014, we also offer a combined Language and Tennis program in partnership with the English language Academy at USD. This combinged Sport and Language program can run from four-to-eight weeks depending on your personal goals.
The English Language Academy offers a summer residential program for non--native English speakers who are between the ages of 14 and 17. Fifteen-hours of in-class instruction are provided each week offering skill development in reading/writing and listening/speaking. Lessons are integrated with San Diego and Southern California exploration to local attractions such as Sea World, Disneyland, La Jolla Shore, Pacific Beach and more. Following the completion of their language program, students can join the Nike Tennis Camp at USD, directed by top teaching pro, Bill Scott and Sherri Stephens, (USD Women's Tennis Coach.) This camp provides the ideal environment to learn from some of the best collegiate coaches and players in the country, and play with peers from all over the world.
Because this is a multi-week combined program, ELA and Nike Camp staff will oversee camper transition between the two programs. Campers can combine up to three weeks of language classes with one, two or three weeks of a Nike Tennis Program. Combined language and sport programs start on June 22, June 29, or July 6.
The USD campus, located in San Diego is approximately 120 miles south of Los Angeles. It is known for its mild year-round climate, natural deep-water harbor and extensive beaches. The University of San Diego is a private university, built in Spanish Renaissance style, and is situated on a mesa overlooking San Diego’s beautiful Mission Bay. It has been rated as one of the most beautiful campuses in the country.
- Nike Tennis Program offers 5-6 hours of daily instruction with low camper to staff ratio from an experienced staff
- Language program provides 15 hours of morning classes per week combined with fun afternoon and weekend excursions in San Diego and Southern California
- Experience campus life and create lasting friendships - secure, comfortable accommodations, with meals offered at University cafeteria which serves healthy food from around the world
- Every camper receives a Nike Tennis Camp T-shirt
- All-Inclusive Tuition: Covers language and sport instruction, housing, 3-meals a day, round-trip airport transfers, weekend stay over(s), and all planned activities
The University of San Diego is a beautiful campus, which offers incredible views of beautiful San Diego Mission Bay. Campers stay at the USD student residences which are modern, clean and comfortable apartments. The campus provides a safe, secure environment, and resident campers can absorb the college environment, while staying in the college dorms and dining at the Student Life Pavilion. Each student residence has round the-clock-security, access to vending machines and laundry facilities. While on campus, student have access to many other amentities such as:
- An Olympic sized swimming pool
- Access to tennis, volleyball and basketball courts
- Quick bus rides to shopping malls, movie theatres and beaches
- The USD West Tennis courts
The “Skip and Cindy Hogan Tennis Center”, located on the West side of the USD campus, is home to the USD women’s and men’s tennis teams. It is a newly renovated eight-court facility featuring a new tournament desk area; and additional bleacher seating.Meet your coaching staff
Bill Scott has earned a solid reputation in high school tennis when he was the Director of Tennis at The Bishop’s School in La Jolla. Bill has coached over 1200 high school tennis matches and 150 middle school matches.
Sherri Stephens enters her 29th year as the Head Women's coach at USD. Sherri Stephens wrapped up her 28th season at USD by leading the Toreros to their first ever WCC championship with a 4-2 win over Pepperdine and garnering her second consecutive WCC Coach of the Year honor.
Camp Code (TNXISY)
Overview of Sports+ Language Program
Camper may choose from a program starting on June 22 or June 29. Each program combines three weeks of the ELA program with one, two or three-weeks of Nike Tennis Camps. A combined sport and language program can run from 4-8 weeks depending on your personal goals. During the three week language program, students will have English classes in the morning from 8:30am to 12:20 pm. These courses are appropriate for those considering attending a US college or university or those who simply want wish to travel, play tennis and improve their skills. In the afternoon, students can practice their new skills as they participate in field trips, sporting activities and social events.
- Language and sport programs are open to campers aged 13-17. All session costs include language instruction and material fees, afternoon activities during language week, Nike Tennis camp instruction, housing and meals, weekend stayover costs and weekend activities during the camp program.
- The language program will be held at the ELA Language Academy located on the USD campus. Campers will reside on the University of San Diego campus in modern, clean, and comfortable apartment-style residence halls.
- ELA Language Academy offers international campers the opportunity to attend morning English language lessons in a small class size setting (no more than 15 students per class). An assessment is administered on the day of arrival placing students in the appropriate language level. Lessons, taught by instructors who have a Master's degree, are rigorous and relevant to a teenage population. Integrating all four skills, instructors present lessons across a broad range of topics, including music, movies, literature, games, and contemporary culture. Often lessons involve interacting with students from other cultures, as well as community field trips designed to practice newly-acquired language skills.
- Post-testing is available to highlight improvements and their is an opportunity to prepare for the TOEFEL and IELTS tests
- Students interested in college admission tours to local universities in San Diego and Southern California may elect to do this in lieu of some afternoon activities/weekend programs.
- Afternoon excursions include visits to famous San Diego and Los Angeles sites. Weekend trips have included the whale show at Sea World, touring Beverly Hills, and shopping the discount malls near the Mexican border.
Overview of Nike Tennis Program
This year we are offering 6 weeks of overnight sessions for campers 10-18.Classes are created for campers of all ages. In addition to the "All Skills" program offered each week, we also also offer a High School Program geared towards high school players ages 13-18 looking to improve their match play and tournament results. The morning program focuses on skill development and refinement, with the afternoon session reserved for match play among your peers. The combination make a perfect match and a sure way to improve your court performance.
Upon arrival, all participants are evaluated by the staff so that their own instructional needs can be addressed throughout the week.
As in years past, we will also include Dartfish video analysis, which will be used during the camp to analyze and improve your strokes. See your strokes compared to a top playing professional! Your Dartfish Mediabook will be posted to a private player locker on Dartfish.tv and reviewed with you by the staff at camp). You will receive a printout showing key positions with corrective comments. After camp, these Dartfish interactive analyses are available for purchase. For $19.95, the package includes:
Stroke Analysis: your Dartfish Mediabook contains videos of your strokes, plus side-by-side comparison with a pro, along with comments.
Pro Stroke Library: one month access to Pro Stroke Library, featuring hundreds of strokes in both real and high speed.
Camp highlights video*: This video of camp activities and friends all set to music will be something everyone will want to have and keep forever. (*Only offered at participating locations.)
NOTE: Regardless of whether you purchase the post-camp package, all campers will be filmed at camp, see their mediabook, and go home with a printout.
International campers interested in a SPORT ONLY program may combine Nike Tennis Camp weekly sessions together to create a multi-week program. Weekend stayovers are available on every session except the first and last ones. You can register for these sessions here.
Click on link for a PDF overview of the USD Nike Tennis and Language Program as well as a daily camp schedule.
Sample Daily Schedule
- ELA Language Weeks
- 8:20-12:20 PM In-class instruction includes skill development in reading/writing and listening/speaking
- 12:20-1:30 PM Lunch at Student Dining Pavilion
- 1:30-5:00 PM Afternoon trips in San Diego
- 6:00-7:00 PM Dinner
- 7:30-9:30 PM Planned evening activities on campus and off-campus
- 10:00 PM Campers to rooms
- Nike Tennis Camp Weeks
- 8:30-11:20 AM Stroke and skill drills
- 11:20-12:20 PM Lunch and rest
- 1:00- 4:00 PM Match and Tournament Play - singles and doubles
- 5:00- 6:00 PM Dinner
- 7:00- 9:30 PM Evening activities
- 10:00 PM Campers to rooms
Check-In - Language program: Sunday check-in (or Saturday if pre-arranged), Students will be met at the airport and brought to the USD campus where they will stay and participate in the language camp. Nike Tennis check-in: Sunday between 12:30-2:30pm on the USD campus. (This check-in occurs on the Sunday after language program concludes. ELA and Nike Tennis Staff will oversee camper transition between the two programs.
Check-Out of Nike Tennis Program - Graduation: 11:30pm on Friday (last day of camp) on campus. International campers will be taken back to their San Diego International airport after their camp stay.
Courts: Camper play on 8 courts at the Skip and Cindy Hogan Tennis Center, located on the West side of the USD campus.
Dorms: Campers live on-campus in nearby USD dorms during both the language session and the Nike Tennis Camp. Campers are assigned to rooms by age, sex, and roommate requests.
Spending Money: We recommend campers bring $50-100 per week.
Safety: 24-hour supervision is an important feature of every Nike Tennis Camp. Staff members reside in campers’ quarters and participate in all activities. Phone number and contact information is available on the detailed registration package that will be sent to you once you register for camp.
Registration Packet: A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. Our health and release forms do not require a doctor's signature and they will be collected on the first day of camp. International campers must have health insurance valid in the US in order to attend camps.
All-Inclusive Tuition: Covers language instruction, sport instruction, housing, meals, roundtrip airport transfers, weekend stayover(s), and activities.
Travel: Designated Airport: San Deigo International Airport (SAN) All international campers will be met at San Diego International Airport by camp staff, and will be escorted to their departing flight at the conclusion of their session. This is included in tuition.To schedule your pick-up, please complete a travel form which will be included in your registration packet. International campers must complete a travel form in order to guarantee pick up at the airport. Travel forms can also be accessed at www.mycamps.ussportscamps.com using your registered email.Read camper reviews