Nike Tennis Tournament Training Camp at Amherst College Amherst, Massachusetts
The Nike Tennis Tournament Training Camp at Amherst College (formerly located at Mt. Holyoke College) returns to Amherst College in 2013. This is a competitive tennis camp geared towards tournament level and ranked players looking to improve their tournament results, learn winning strategies, and work on mental toughness. A special High School session is also offered for High School players of all skill levels.
Our goal is to give players the opportunity to hit thousands of balls, improve their technique, and be challenged by some of the best players in their peer group. Our summer tennis camps combine technical tennis instruction and drilling from a superb coaching staff, supervised match play, and a variety of evening social activities. Come join the fun at this junior tennis camp and take your tennis game to the next level.
Click the link for information about the All Skills program offered at The Nike Tennis Camp at Amherst College.
- Instruction, coaching & training from Professionals, National Championship Coaches, College Players, and Skilled teachers.
- Private Lessons. This year, all campers will receive a free private lesson for each week in attendance.
- 5-6 hours of daily instruction, match play, fitness training with a maximum 5:1 student/teacher ratio... (much of tennis has even lower ratio)
- Intensive evaluation process and a detailed program workbook
- Match play is charted each day by staff
- Competitive Singles and doubles tournament each week
- Players select skills they wish to focus on during camp
Amherst College, nestled in the small New England town of Amherst, is located in central Massachusetts. It is approximately 90 miles west of Boston and 165 miles north of New York City. While attending Nike/Amherst, campers will play on the 28 hard and clay courts situated on campus. Indoor courts are also available on campus in the event of rain. The camp has use of the Amherst College athletic fields, swimming pools and gymnasiums for off court training and activities.Meet your coaching staff
In his 25th year as a Nike Tennis Camp Director, Mike Gardner brings years of experience and dedication to junior tennis development.Read Full Bio
USPTA Level 1 Certified, Coach Gardner’s experience includes:
• 2012 Massachusetts Division 1 State Championship Coach.
• 30 plus years Professional Junior Training Coach.
• Director of Nike/Amherst since its inception in 1994.
• Trained hundreds of top New England and National level players.
• Many of Coach Gardner’s students have earned Division 1 College Scholarships.
• State Championship High School Coach.
• Tennis Director, Orchard Hills Athletic Club in Lancaster, MA
- Head Men's Coach at Amherst
- Former All-American at University of Georgia
Chris Garner-Tennis Director. Coach Garner, a former All American from the University of Georgia as well as a former world class player, is currently the Men’s Tennis Coach at Amherst College. Under Coach Garner, Amherst College Men’s Tennis won the National Championship in 2011 and reached the NCAA finals in 2009. Coach Garner has successfully coached college tennis at The Ohio State University, and The University of Colorado. As a junior player, Coach Garner was ranked as high as no. 1 in the U.S. Coach Garner brings a “world class” level of training to the Nike National Training Program at Mt. Holyoke.
(Camp Code: TNTRMH)
This year we are offering 3 weeks of Overnight, Extended Day (9:00am-9:00pm) and Day (9:00am-5:00pm) camp. This intensive camp will focus on match play development for players aged 10-18. Players planning on attending should have a tournament ranking or a significant amount of tournament experience. Click the link for information about the All Skills program offered at The Nike Tennis Camp at Amherst College.
The program includes an intensive “off court” program including:
• Goal setting meeting
• Strategy sessions including shot selection, offense and defense tactics
• Mental toughness training with tennis specific Sport Psychologist.
This year, the program will be divided into 2 leveled areas of training, Tournament “A” and “B”. Note: Each player will be evaluated prior to the beginning of the camp program. Placement into specific programs will be at the discretion of the Director. Our goal is to put the student into an environment that will allow him/her to improve the fastest.
Tournament Juniors ranked at the National Level or Upper Sectional Level will train in the “A” Division. The “A” level Tournament Training program will include the following:
- Players “pick” the skill they wish to focus on most for the morning. More attention will be paid to that skill, providing a custom program for each individual. (eg. If the player feels as if their serve needs more attention, he/she can select to do extra work on it each day. If after 2 days the same player wishes to work more on the volley, for example, he/she can elect to do it.) Drills are intensive and include fed balls and live hitting.
- Daily lectures will be provide by a Director with topics including but not limited to shot selection, match preparation, nutrition and hydration concerns. A mental toughness seminar will be provided by Dr. Elisabeth Young, Sport Psychologist and former professional tennis player.
- Each afternoon, each participant will compete in 2 coached matches.
- Following the tennis program each day, “A” Level tournament participants will partake in a tennis specifically designed cross training fitness program.
The “B” level Tournament program is a hybrid type program designed to help players make the transition into world of competitive tournaments. Campers will participate in select tournament training activities while at the same time, join the general camp in several of its activities.
• Overnight campers check in on Sunday from 1:00-2:00pm at the dorms.
• Day and Extended Day campers check in from 1:30-2:00pm. Signs will be posted directing you where to go.
• Day Campers will depart the first day at 5:00pm after a tennis evaluation.
• Extended Day Campers will depart the first day at 9:00pm after dinner and evening activities.
• Graduation: All campers: 12:00 noon Friday at the dorms. Parents are invited to attend!
• Check-out: Check-out immediately follows Graduation. No lunch on Friday.
Extended Day & Day Camper Schedule & Information
• On Check-in day, Day campers stay until 5:00pm. Extended Day campers stay until 9:00pm.
• Monday through Thursday Day campers come from 9:00am-5:00pm and Extended Day campers come from 9:00am to 9:00pm.
• Check-out is immediately after Graduation at 12:00pm on Friday for Day, Extended Day and Overnight campers.
• Meals: Lunch and dinner are provided for all Extended Day campers. Lunch is provided for all Day campers.
Campers reside in ideally situated dormitories equipped with TV lounges and WiFi. The entire camp resident staff, including the Director, live in the dormitory with the campers, providing safety and security 24 hours a day. Roommates: 2 per room (some triples may be available) based on requests and then by age and gender. There is no A/C in the dorms, but they don't get too hot. Campers may bring fans.
All meals are included for overnight campers. Lunch and dinner are provided for all Extended Day campers. Lunch is provided for all Day campers. Half Day campers leave before lunch. Meals will be served at the award winning Valentine cafeteria. This air conditioned venue serves an excellent “all you can eat” variety of health hot and cold meals. Highlights include:
• Full service salad bar including fresh fruits and vegetables
• Large variety pizza bar
• Dessert bar including ice cream “soft serve”, cookies and cakes
• Drinks include juice, milk, soda, athletic drinks, coffee and tea
Off Court Activities
At Nike/Amherst, we take social activities serious. Activities include: Supervised trips to Amherst town center with its fun shops & restaurants, movie night at the local mall, pool and pizza party night, camp dance featuring professional DJ, team skits and “ice breaker” activities.
Multiple week campers that elect to stay over the weekend will participate in organized “off campus” trips including fun parks, mini golf, bowling and the mall. Campers are supervised by camp staff throughout the entire weekend. Cost: $200/weekend
Designated Airport: Bradley International – Hartford, CT
Nike Tennis Camp does not provide any transportation to/from camp from airport, train stations or bus depots. If you fly into camp, we recommend that you fly into Bradley International Airport and schedule a shuttle/bus from the airport to camp. Information about shuttle transportation can be found on the airport website: www.bradleyairport.com or massport.com.
If you have a camper arriving by air and is deemed an “unaccompanied minor” by the airlines and must be met by a camp staff or shuttle company employee, there maybe a fee that needs to be paid in advance of camp. You will still have to arrange transportation to/from camp.
Please call 1-800-645-3226 two weeks prior to camp to provide camper’s flight and shuttle information.
If you are international camper requiring transportation assistance at Logan International Airport, please contact Mike Gardner directly at 978-618-9254.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. PLEASE NOTE: Our health and release forms require a doctor's signature and they will be collected on the first day of camp.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 8:30am Stretching, Camp Meeting at Courts
- 8:45am Tennis Instruction
- 10:00am Break
- 10:15am Tennis Instruction and Drills
- 11:45am Lunch, Rest, Optional Tennis
- 1:15pm Tennis Program, Match Play
- 2:45pm Break
- 3:00pm Tennis Program, Doubles and Drills
- 4:00pm Conclusion of Daily Tennis Program
- 4:15pm Groups or Private Extra Help, Optional Tennis, Swimming
- 5:00pm Day campers Depart - Rest, Shower, Dinner
- 5:00pm Evening Activity
- 9:00pm Extended Day Campers Depart
- 9:30pm Overnight Campers to Rooms
- 10:15pm Lights Out