Coach's Corner | Basketball Tip
Presented By: NBC Basketball Camps
7 Keys to Becoming a more Focused Basketball Player
Basketball Teams with ultimate focus tend to beat teams with limited focus nearly every time, regardless of the athletic talent. At a certain talent level, the mind becomes the most important part of victory. That’s why veteran teams tend to beat less experienced teams at a very high rate. Focus is the crucial essence that makes teams victorious.
Therefore, teams want players who can focus. If you can focus, you are going to get playing time. Here are 7 ways to build your focus as a basketball player.
1. Focus on what you can do well and do it. If you are a scorer, score. If you are an assist king, dish dimes. If you are a defender, lock it down. If you hustle, go all out. If you rebound like a wrecking ball, go haul in every board.
2. Free your mind from the mechanics of basketball to focus on the higher levels of play. If your mind has to pay attention to your dribbling, you can't focus on who is open. Your fundamental skills need to be second nature so your mind can elevate and focus on the higher level.
3. Find the calm during the storm. Use your focus to let you perform at the highest level in the most chaotic or intense game situations, by staying calm internally while your body completes tasks of great intensity.
4. Cause greater chaos for your opponent, in order to shift them off their focus. Don’t let them do what they like to do best. Cause them to do things unfamiliar to them in all aspects of the game.
5. Cause greater calmness for your team, in order to increase team focus. Unite your team in a common bond of doing what the team does best. Cause your team to do things that are successful, confident, and in your team’s wheel house.
6. Encourage. All teams thrive on encouragement and eventually wilt under degradation. Communicate. Point out your teammates’ strengths. Get excited. Research on stress has shown people can complete a pressured task 100% of the time with encouragement and only 20% of the time while being criticized.
7. Be strong with the ball, strong at executing plays, and strong at doing what you are capable of. Avoid doing things that have little chance of success in the chaos of the game. Don’t let your defender or the opponent take you or your team off your mark. Establish your team chemistry in the middle of the game’s intensity.
NBC Basketball Camps are part of the Nike Camp network. NBC Camps program attracted the operators of Nike Camps because of their exceptional coaching, atmosphere, and training of athletes. If you love basketball and want to play it well, you need to be at NBC Camps. Find a location and learn more about NBC Basketball Camps at www.nbccamps.com.