Nike Field Hockey Camp at University of San Diego
Improve your game and have serious fun
at Nike Field Hockey Camps
Join our field hockey camp in San Diego for girls, ages 10-18! Athletes of all abilities will have the opportunity to train with former UC Davis Head Field Hockey Coach, Vianney Yamada, and her dedicated coaching staff.
Our field hockey camp is designed for athletes looking to improve their field hockey skills through a series of individual skill-building drills in a fun and competitive environment! Join our summer 2023 field hockey camp in Southern California to unleash your potential and increase your love of the game.
- Partner Camp of USA Field Hockey; sanctioned to make referrals to USAFH Nexus program
- Quality coaching from current and former collegiate coaches and players as well as current and former National Team players.
- Special goalkeeping instruction
- Morning, afternoon, and evening training sessions
- 1:10 staff to camper ratio
- All attendee receive a Nike Field Hockey Camps package (reversible jersey, ball, lanyard) and other fun prizes.
- View More Details ⟩
Camp Director Vianney Yamada (Campos)
Coach Yamada has many years of valuable coaching experience, including her stint as Head Field Hockey Coach at UC Davis and Assistant Field Hockey Coach at University of the Pacific.View Vianney Yamada (Campos)'s Bio & Field Hockey Tips ⟩
Vianney was a 2006 NCAA Division I All- American, 4-time NorPac All-Conference Team, 3 Time Offensive Player of the Year, and 4 time West Region All American. In 2006, her senior year- she lead all players in NCAA Division I in Goals Per Game and Points Per Game.
After college, Yamada played with the USA National Developmental Squad and earned a cap playing for Team USA at the Atholding Champions Challenge in 2007.
Vianney is currently a wellness consultant and fitness trainer helping men, women & teens make healthy living a lifestyle. Her training background spans from Personal Training to CrossFit, to BirthFit which focuses on helping women train during pregnancy & postpartum.
She came to Fitness from Pursuit Athletics, her business helping high school athletes navigate the college recruitment process, and USA Field Hockey Futures (California) Director.
Vianney (pronounced VEE-uh-nay) holds a master's degree in sports pedagogy from the University of the Pacific and a bachelor's in sociology and criminal justice from the same school.
Married in May 2014 to Derrick Yamada, she is bilingual (Spanish being her first language) and has a 6-year-old son named Troy.
Field Hockey Tips by Vianney Yamada (Campos):
- Field Hockey Tip: Open Receiving (Receiving Across your Body)
- Field Hockey Tip: Warm-up Drill
- Field Hockey Tip: Reverse Hit
- Field Hockey Tip: Push Passing
- Field Hockey Tips: Incorporating Spins into Dribbling
- Field Hockey Tip: Tight Dribbling At Home Drill
- Field Hockey Tip: Hand Placement
- Field Hockey Tips: Develop your Flicking Skills at Home
- Nike Field Hockey Tips: The Long Grip Hit
- Field Hockey Tips: Perfecting your Jab
- Field Hockey Tips: How to Sweep
- Field Hockey tips on Long Grip drives
- How to perform a Short Grip Hit
- Tips to improve Triangle Receptions
- How to Improve Field Hockey Pulls at Home
- How to Deceptive Sweep in Field Hockey
Co-Director Katie Fixsen
Former University of the Pacific Player (Defender) 2004-2008, Former Mt. Carmel High School Coach (2009-2016), and Cathedral Catholic Head Coach (2018-current)
SECURE YOUR SPOT!
You can expect high demand on these first-come-first-serve camper spots, so please be sure to register early.
- Dates: 2024 Dates Coming Soon. Join Priority List!
- Age Group: 10-18
- Gender: Girls
- Camp Types: Overnight & Extended Day (commuter)
- Check-In: 1:00pm-2:00pm on Thursday
- Check-Out: Graduation takes place at 12:00pm on Sunday. Parents are invited to attend. Check out will take place immediately after.
- Extended Day (Commuter) Schedule: Thursday: 2:00pm-9:00pm, Friday-Saturday: 9:00am-9:00pm, Sunday: 9:00am-12:00pm
- Meals: All meals are provided for Overnight campers. Lunch and dinner are provided for all Extended Day (commuter) campers.
- Program: This All Skills program is geared towards players of all abilities. The camp program includes stick work instruction & skills, technical & tactical training, offensive & defensive skills, and positioning work. Goalie-specific training is offered as well. Upon arrival, all participants are evaluated by the staff and placed into groups based on age and ability level.
Please note: Camp schedules and details may be subject to change.
The University of San Diego (as of 5/23/22), recommends the following guidelines:
- Strongly recommends that all campers be vaccinated against COVID-19 (plus booster if applicable), or have a negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours of arriving on campus
The information below is subject to change each year.
- Dorm Name: San Juan and San Miguel, both located in Valley B
- Dorm Style: Traditional Resident Hall
- Number of Campers Per Room: 2 per room
- Roommates: Rooms are assigned by age & roommate requests. Roommate requests must be mutual and received no later than 14 days before the start of camp. If you don't have a roommate request, you will be placed in a room with someone near your age. It will be a great opportunity to meet someone new!
- Bathrooms: Shared bathroom in hall
- Linens: Not provided. Bring linens or sleeping bag, pillow, pillowcase and a towel
- Air Conditioning: TBA
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE FEE?
- Instruction: Morning, afternoon and evening training sessions
- Overnight campers: Dormitory housing on campus and all meals are provided.
- Extended Day campers: Lunch and dinner are provided.
- Supervision: Staff members reside in campers’ quarters and participate in all activities.
- Camp Gear: All campers receive a Nike Field Hockey Camp package (reversible jersey, ball, lanyard) and other fun prizes.
INSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT & FACILITY
- Ratio: 1:10 staff-to-camper ratio
- Groupings: Campers are grouped by age, ability, and experience.
- Equipment Needed: Hockey stick, water bottle, mouth guard, shin guards, court and turf shoes (goalies must bring full goalie protective equipment)
- Inclement Weather Plan: TBA for 2023
- Facility: Turf fields
- Medical Protocol: Most camps have an athletic trainer on-site to help with illness or injury. In case of an emergency, campers will be transported to the nearest hospital.
Directors Note to Campers
"Hello Nike Field Hockey campers and thank you for considering our California Field Hockey Camps! We are excited to welcome you to our piece of sunshine on the west coast & share our great passion for this sport. At these camps, you can expect to get personalized attention and care. Our coaches are here to help you develop into great all-around players with solid fundamentals yet fun advanced skills. You will have an opportunity to connect with many players around the US but also build friendships with some of the players you may play against quite often. Believe it or not, this is actually the best part! Great hockey & great company! We hope you join us on these beautiful college campuses." - Coach Vianney.
PREPARE FOR CAMP: COMPLETE YOUR PRE-CAMP CHECKLIST
To view your customer account, complete your mandatory forms, pay balance dues, and review
important camp information, visit Pre-Camp Checklist.
All necessary camp information is on this page. If there are any imperative changes prior to
camp start, registered campers will be notified via email and this webpage will be updated!
CHECKLIST OF THINGS TO BRING
Below is a suggested list of clothes, equipment, and personal items. US Sports Camps is NOT responsible for lost or stolen articles or money.
ALL CAMPERS (OVERNIGHT & COMMUTERS):
- Athletic, on-field clothing (t-shirts, shorts)
- Turf shoes or sneakers
- Reversible jersey
- Hockey Stick(s)
- Mouth guard
- Shin guards
- Goggles (not required, but recommended)
- Court shoes for indoor play in case of rain
- Goalies must bring their own full protective equipment
- Water bottle
- Small gym bag/backpack
- Packed lunch (if required for commuters)
- Spending money
- COVID PPE (as required by state/local guidelines)
- Signed Health & Release forms and waivers (forms completed online do not need to be printed and turned in at camp)
OVERNIGHT CAMPERS ONLY:
- Athletic clothing mentioned above (1-2 pairs/day)
- Comfortable off-court clothing (pants/shorts, shirts, sweatshirts, 1 pair/day)
- Undergarments (1-2 pair/day)
- Flip flops
- Laundry bag
- Toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, bodywash, facewash, hairbrush, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, etc.)
- Personal items & medications
- Eye mask, ear plugs (optional)
- Washcloth and bath towel
- Alarm clock
- Fan (optional)
- Bed sheets (if linens not provided)
- Comforter or sleeping bag (if linens not provided)
- Pillow and pillowcase (if linens not provided)
Transportation is not provided. Campers are responsible for getting to and from camp on their own. There is no supervision before or after camp hours so please make arrangements to pick up your child on time.
For information regarding our cancellation policy and all other company policies, please visit USSC Policies.
NIKE FIELD HOCKEY CAMP FAQ
For general questions about our field hockey camps please see our FAQ page.
If you have a group of eight or more campers registering for the same camp, each camper is eligible for a discount. Please have someone contact the US Sports Camps office at 1-800-645-3226 with the names of each camper in the group and we will create a unique discount code for your group. Campers may then register individually through the website at their convenience and apply the offer code during check out. *Discount amount varies by program. Please call for details.
We cannot offer scholarships due to NCAA regulations. Our affiliation with NCAA coaches and schools puts us in a position where any scholarship money can be seen as an inducement to a future collegiate athlete. This puts our coaches and our host universities in jeopardy of damaging their status with the NCAA and incurring penalties at the hands of their organizing body.
Camps are open to any and all entrants, limited only by number, age, grade level and/or gender.Show Less See More Camp Details
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:00am Wake-up, shower, breakfast
- 9:00am Extended Day & Day Campers arrive. Stretching & Warm-up
- 9:15am Training Session I
- 12:00pm Lunch, rest
- 1:30pm Training Session II
- 4:00pm Free time, rest
- 5:30pm Dinner
- 6:30pm Training Session III
- 9:00pm Extended Day Camper depart, Overnight Campers to rooms, free time
- 10:00pm Lights out
USD's beautiful campus is located approximately two miles north of downtown San Diego, on the north crest of Mission Valley in the community of Linda Vista.
July 16, 2022: My daughter has done a couple of field hockey camps and played in a rec season and learned FAR more at this week long camp. Walked away LOVING field hockey. "Now that I REALLY know how to play". Also her coaches were FUN and taught a lot. Finally she really liked the food. :-)
July 12, 2022: Fantastic coaches! It was my daughters First time/entry into field hockey and she loved it and can't wait to return next summer. Thank you so much!
July 14, 2022: My daughter loved improving her skills and said the environment (both the coaches and other players) was very encouraging and supportive.
July 12, 2023: Being with friends in the dorms, learning how the dinning hall works and just the overall field hockey in general.
July 12, 2023: So many to choose from, the amazing staff, and watching our shy daughter flourish.
July 12, 2023: My child's improved skill level due to the well organized and patience coaches
July 12, 2023: The coaches were so friendly and promoted a great team spirit among players
July 12, 2023: My daughter's skills improved and she made new friends
reignited his passion
SECURE YOUR SPOT – CAMPS SELL OUT!
Last year over 650 Sports Camps sold out, leaving 7,000+ campers on the waitlist. Due to high demand, early registration for our first-come-first-serve camps is strongly recommended.