Nike Volleyball Camp at Curry College - International Programs Milton, Massachusetts
This summer work on your game and improve your English all in one place at the NIKE Volleyball Camp at Curry College. Our new International Program offers campers aged 10-18 the opportunity to hone their volleyball skills and practice their English with some of the best collegiate coaches and players in the country.
International campers will find this NIKE Volleyball camp provides everything they need for a great visit to the US. This camp offers plenty of convenient multi-week volleyball sessions, lots of fun on-campus and off-campus activities, an outstanding international staff and the option to add language classes to their NIKE Volleyball program.
Designed for girls 10-18, the NIKE Volleyball Camp at Curry College will help you master the fundamentals, develop proper mechanics, and gain valuable game play experience. Every aspect of the game is covered, giving you a solid foundation to build upon after camp.
In addition to excellent coaching and superior on-court training, campers will have the chance to make new American friends and explore Boston through select off-campus activities. As in the past, there will be two separate sets of staff for 24- hour supervision both on and off the volleyball courts.
Lastly, for those campers who are little shy with their English, we offer the perfect way to build your confidence prior to camp. The week long English program, held directly on the Curry College campus, provides 15 (50 minute) classes designed to help campers enhance their English speaking skills and confidence.
International campers can build a customized camp experience in three ways:
- Select one or more sessions of NIKE Volleyball Camp for a sport-only experience.
- Add a week of language preparation prior your first week of NIKE Volleyball Camp for a sport + language program.
- Combine language with your volleyball session by attending a combined program. In this program, campers attend language classes in the mornings and train at volleyball practices in the afternoons.
- 8:1 staff to camper ratio
- Excellent residential, dining, and training facilities
- Off-campus field trips, including trips to nearby Boston
- International staff
- Personal evaluations from your coach
- NIKE Volleyball Camp T-shirt
- 20 hours of language instruction per week (optional program)
Curry College, located in Milton, Massachusetts, is one of New England's most beautiful college campuses. Located only seven miles outside of downtown Boston, its outstanding facilities include indoor volleyball courts, air conditioned dorms and excellent dining facilities located near residence halls. The convenient campus layout means courts, dining halls, and dorms are just a short walk away!
Meet your coaching staff
Mehdi & Maria Belhassan
Mehdi and Maria Belhassan will be directing the camp and will be in residence for every session. There will be two separate sets of staff for 24-hour supervision, both on and off the court.
Chris Campbell is entering his first year at the helm of the Boston College Eagles volleyball program. Campbell comes to the Heights from a successful run as the Associate Head Coach at Auburn where he served as the recruiting coordinator and position coach for the middle blockers he also added defensive coordinator to his areas of responsibility.
In his first full recruiting class, Campbell pulled in the nation's No. 26 recruiting class, according to PrepVolleyball.com. The class included the No. 34 and No. 93-ranked seniors in the nation as well as Sarah Bullock, who was named to the 2009 Southeastern Conference All-Freshman team at the conclusion of the 2009 season.
As defensive coordinator Campbell was responsible for designing and implementing the Tigers defensive system and the defensive game plans for success in the ever-tough SEC. The results speak for themselves. In just one season Auburn rose from ninth to fifth in the SEC in opponent hitting percentage, and from 11th to seventh in blocks. The improvement was also noted on a national level as Auburn obtained its first regional ranking in over a decade and was ranked as high as No. 60 in the national RPI (Ratings Percentage Index).
A native of Harvey Station, New Brunswick, Canada, Campbell brings 10 seasons of coaching experience to the staff, eight as a head coach and two as an assistant coach. Most recently, Campbell was at Northern Arizona University from 2004-2007.
While at NAU, Campbell had 20 student-athletes earn 36 NAU Golden Eagle Scholar-Athlete awards and 11 student-athletes earn 20 academic All-Big Sky Conference honors. Campbell spent the 2003 season as an assistant at Northern Arizona before taking over the head coach position. Before his arrival in Flagstaff, Ariz., Campbell spent one season as the head coach at Division II Mississippi University for Women and three seasons at the University of Louisiana-Lafayette.
As a player, Campbell competed in the Canadian Division I level for McGill University and the University of British Columbia (UBC) where he was a team captain and starter at both schools. During his final season at UBC the team was ranked as high as 7th in the nation.
Overview of Sports + Language Program
Prior to starting your NIKE Volleyball Camp, you can take a week of 15 English lessons designed to get you speaking English more comfortably and confidently. Three Sport + Language sessions are offered, starting with July 7th, July 14th, and July 21nd sessions. You can add one or two weeks of camp to this language program to create the perfect program for you.
- It is open to girls aged 10-18.
- All session costs include language instruction and material fees, plus choice of 2 evening activities, NIKE camp instruction, housing and meals, weekend stayover costs and one weekend activities during the camp program.
- The language program will be held directly on the Curry College campus and campers will reside on campus during both the language and NIKE Sports programs.
How does the program work?
For campers who wish to combine Sport and Language together into a multi-week program, there are two options:
- One-week language program: The language week precedes the NIKE Volleyball Camp. Campers attend morning language classes and participate in fun afternoon activities that enable campers to practice and improve their English. After the language week, campers participate in NIKE Volleyball Camp for the remaining week(s). CLICK HERE for a sample daily schedule for the language week and sport session.
- Multi-week program: This program combines morning language classes with afternoon daily sport training each week. A sample daily schedule follows below.
- Language classes are held on campus, just a short walk from the dorms.
- 15 English lessons are offered each week (Monday-Friday).
- Language curriculum: Students in this program will improve core English language skills such as speaking and listening, as well as their confidence. Classes are communicative in nature and offer plenty of opportunities for speaking practice in three 50-minute classes per day.
- Program designed for campers aged 10-18 years old.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 7:30am Breakfast
- 8:30am ELS Assessment (Monday only); Campers to classroom (Monday-Friday)
- 8:45am ELS Class begins: Grammar, Listening, Discussion, Vocabulary, Reading, Writing
- 10:30am ELS Class continues: Conversational activities, Writing, Music, Art
- 12:00 noon Lunch
- 1:00pm NIKE Volleyball: Technical skill development, Tactical skill development, Strength and conditioning, Tournament play
- 5:00pm Dinner
- 6:00pm Free time
- 7:00pm Evening activities
- 10:00pm Campers to dorms
- 10:30pm Lights out!
Check-in & Check-out
- 12:00 noon - 2:00pm Sunday of the camper's first week.
- Signs will be placed all over campus and camp staff will also direct traffic.
- Evaluations: All campers will start their evaluations at 3:00pm.
- Lunch: On check in day, the first meal served is dinner. If you need to eat lunch with your parents, we will give you a list of several nearby restaurants.
- Orientation (campers only): After evaluations, showers, and dinner, all campers, staff, and coaches will walk to orientation together. Here we will introduce the coaches and staff, and go over camp rules and procedures.
- 12:00 noon - 2:00pm OR 4:00pm-6:00pm on Friday of the camper's last week.
- Campers who check-out in the second window (4:00-6:00pm) will be able to attend both the first and second sports session of the day, while those who check out in the first window will only attend the first sports session.
- Location: Your check out location is the same dorm that you checked in to unless otherwise notified by our staff at check-in.
Early arrivals & late departures: There is a $125 fee per day to accomodate campers arriving early or staying beyond the final day of their registered session. This fee includes housing and meals. Please note that our camp staff cannot receive early campers prior to Sunday, June 30 (the first day of our first session), nor may campers stay past Friday, August 2 (the final day of our last session).
- All international campers will be met at Boston Logan International Airport by camp staff, and will be escorted to their departing flight at the conclusion of their session. This is included in tuition.
- To schedule your pick-up, please complete a travel form which will be included in your registration packet. International campers must complete a travel form in order to guarantee pick up at the airport. Travel forms can also be accessed at www.mycamps.ussportscamps.com using your registered email.
- Designated Airport: Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
- Early arrivals & late departures: There is a $125 fee per day to accomodate campers arriving early or staying beyond the final day of their registered session. This fee includes housing and meals. Please note that our camp staff cannot receive early campers prior to Sunday, June 30 (the first day of Session I), nor may campers stay past Friday, August 2 (the final day of our last session).
- Housing: Dormitory housing on campus with all meals provided (variety of choices at each meal). Two campers to a room. International campers will be placed with an American camper of the same age/grade. Bathrooms are communal and are located on each floor.
- Safety: 24-hour supervision is an important feature of every NIKE Volleyball Camp. Staff members reside in campers’ quarters and participate in all activities.
- Instruction: 1:8 Coach to Camper ratio. Training groups formed by skill, age, and years of experience. End-of-session individual player evaluation written by coaching staff - see "Coaches" tab for more details on coaching staff.
- Spending Money: Recommend $50-$100 per week.
- Volleyballs: Baden Volleyballs may be purchased when you register for camp for an additional $15. Volleyballs must be paid for at the time of registration. Campers do not need to bring a ball to camp and purchasing one is optional.
- Medical Facility: 3-6 athletic trainers are on-site and around the dorms. A doctor is on-call for emergencies.
- Extra Activities: MBSC/NIKE Volleyball Camp is one of the only camps that offer nightly OFF-campus activities. Our pre-organized evening/weekend activities include: laser tag, bowling, Hard Rock Café, game arcade, Six Flags Amusement Park (weekend), and whale watching (weekend). Activities are optional, and campers who choose to remain on-campus will enjoy alternate activities such as ping pong, movies, board games, and volleyball. Counselors stay on campus and accompany off campus trips to ensure 24/7 supervision of all campers.
- All-inclusive tuition: Covers language instruction, sport instruction, housing, meals, roundtrip airport transfers, weekend stayover(s), and activities (two per week, plus one additional if staying for weekend).
- Registration Packet: A detailed camper registration packet containing check-in location, health & release forms, emergency contact info, and a packing list will be emailed to all registered campers in spring 2013. Our health and release forms require a doctor's signature and will be collected on the first day of camp. International campers must have health insurance valid in the US in order to attend camps.