Nike Boys Lacrosse Youth Camp at Roanoke College
For youth players ages 7-12!
Coach Pilat is excited to offer his 4th youth camp this summer 2023 on the beautiful Roanoke College campus in Salem, VA.
This camp is designed for the young lacrosse player who wants to get top instruction from Roanoke Head Coach Bill Pilat and his staff of current players and coaches. Each camper will learn skills they can practice on their own to help them gain an understanding and a love for the game of lacrosse.
- Skills Camp for Boys Ages 7-12
- 8:1 camper to instructor on field ratio
- Daily emphasis on fundamentals, position training, drills and scrimmages
- Team and sibling discounts available
- Every camper receives a reversible Nike practice jersey
- View More Details ⟩
Camp Director Bill Pilat
Entering his 31st season at the helm of the Roanoke College program, Bill Pilat has 341 career wins and his 70% win percentage is also the best in the history of the ODAC.View Bill Pilat's Bio & Lacrosse Tips ⟩
The Maroons are currently in the midst of 19 consecutive winning seasons, including a school record 13 consecutive with 10 or more wins.
When the Maroons punched their ticket to the NCAA Division III Tournament last season, the Maroons became the 13th team to do so under Pilat’s guidance.
In 2015, Pilat earned his 300th career win, becoming the 15th men's lacrosse coach in all of NCAA Divisions I, II or III to accomplish that milestone. During his tenure as coach, Pilat has led the team to 11 ODAC Championships and now 16 NCAA Tournament appearances after appearing in the NCAA Tournament yet again in the 2015 season. The Maroons finished the season with its program record-setting seventh consecutive 10-win season.
Pilat has been named the ODAC Coach of the Year in a vote of his league peers, the most of any ODAC coach. He has claimed nine Old Dominion Athletic Conference Championships, the latest coming in 2013.
Pilat is an integral part of Roanoke’s lacrosse excellence both as a player and a coach. As a player, Pilat was a three-time All-American, two-time ODAC Player of the Year, and the 1985 Roanoke Male Athlete of the Year. Also in 1985, Pilat received the C. Markland Kelly Award and the Hero’s Award as the nation’s top goaltender. With 710 collegiate saves, he has 29 more stops than any other keeper in school history. In addition to leading the program in career saves, Pilat has also coached six of the nine other players ranked in the top 10 all-time saves list at the school. Three of those goalies have earned All-American status.
In addition to coaching and recruiting, Pilat has been very active in the lacrosse community. A former member of the Division III Advisory and All-American committees, he has served as the president of both the ODAC and Division III Coaches associations. He has been the chairman of the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association’s Century Club and was a member of the U.S. World Lacrosse Team player selection committee. Pilat is also one of the nation’s most recognizable summer camp directors, running several camps in Virginia, Florida, Connecticut, Ohio, and New York. The Bill Pilat Goalie School is regarded as the nation’s best camp for goalies. Pilat’s latest venture is a new goalie video aimed at improving the skills and fundamentals of both novice and advanced keepers.
Pilat graduated cum laude from Roanoke in 1985 and earned a master’s degree from Alfred University in education in 1986. While at Alfred, he served as a graduate assistant with the Saxons’ lacrosse program. Pilat spent the 1987 season as a member of the Washington & Lee University staff, helping the Generals to a national semifinal appearance, before returning to Roanoke as an assistant in 1988.
He currently resides in Roanoke with his wife, Diana, also a 1985 Roanoke graduate. Their two children are Will and Emily. Will was a multiple time All-American at Roanoke, graduating in 2016 and won the 2018 National Championship as an assistant coach at Wesleyan.
Lacrosse Tips by Bill Pilat:
- The Goalie School Tip: Keep Your Head Up!
- The Goalie School Tip: Restarting the Action with Proper Outlet Passes
- Nike Lacrosse Tip: Transition Drill
- The Goalie School Tip: Stay Still To Make More Saves
- The Goalie School Tip: Do Goalies need to work on their “Weak” Hand when clearing?
- Goalie Lacrosse Recruiting Tips with Bill Pilat
SECURE YOUR SPOT!
You can expect a high demand on these first-come-first-serve camper spots, so please be sure to register early. This summer, Roanoke College is offering one session of day camp (10:00 AM to 2:00 PM). Designed for players starting or currently playing youth lacrosse.
- Dates: July 1-4 **Camp runs Saturday to Tuesday. Please note camp will take place on the 4th of July.
- Age Group: 7-12
- Gender: Boys
- Camp Type: Day
- Schedule: 10:00am-2:00pm, Saturday-Tuesday
- Check-In: between 9:30-10:00am at Kerr Stadium. Campers can be dropped off Saturday-Tuesday behind the Bast Center.
- Check-out: Camp ends at 2:00pm each day.
- Meals: Lunch is provided each day. All campers need to bring a filled water bottle each day.
- Program: Youth Camp ages 7-12 - The focus of the Youth Camp is having fun and improving fundamental skills in a ultra-positive atmosphere. All facets of the game are covered including stick work, shooting, and defensive/goalie drills in the morning with scrimmaging and team concepts covered in the afternoon. This camp exposes players to all field positions including attack, midfield, defense and goalie where campers can explore and learn more about position specifics.
301 N Market St
Salem, VA 24153
Click Here for Directions
Saturday, July 1st to Tuesday, July 4th
- Check-in: will take place between 9:30-10:00am at Kerr Stadium. Campers can be dropped off Saturday-Tuesday behind the Bast Center.
- Coaches will be assisting with drop off and pick up each day in the parking lot. Enter from North Market Street to drop off and pick up.
- Check-out: Camp ends at 2:00pm each day.
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE FEE?
- Instruction: Morning and afternoon training sessions
- Supervision: Campers are supervised by staff during camp hours.
- Meals: Lunch is provided each day.
- Reversible Jersey & Prizes: Campers will receive a Nike Lacrosse Reversible Jersey and prizes.
INSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT & FACILITY
- Ratio: 1:10 staff-to-camper ratio
- Groupings: Campers are grouped by age, ability, and experience.
- Equipment Needed: Please bring your helmet, mouthpiece, cleats, lacrosse stick, gloves, and pads.
- Facility: Kerr Stadium
- Medical Protocol: Most camps have an athletic trainer on-site to help with illness or injury. In case of an emergency, campers will be transported to the nearest hospital.
PREPARE FOR CAMP: COMPLETE YOUR PRE-CAMP CHECKLIST
To view your customer account, complete your mandatory forms, pay balance dues, and review important camp information, visit Pre-Camp Checklist. All necessary camp information is on this page. If there are any imperative changes prior to camp start, registered campers will be notified via email and this webpage will be updated!
CHECKLIST OF THINGS TO BRING
Below is a suggested list of clothes, equipment, and personal items. US Sports Camps is NOT responsible for lost or stolen articles or money.
- Athletic Socks
- Helmet & Mouthpiece
- Lacrosse Stick(s), Gloves, Pads
- Goalies Must Have Full Protective Equipment
- Comfortable Off-Field Clothes
- Water Bottle
- Turf Shoes or Running Shoes for
- Spending money (approx. $50)
- Signed Heath & Release forms and waivers (forms completed online do not need to be printed and turned in at camp.
Transportation is not provided. Campers are responsible for getting to and from camp on their own. There is no supervision before or after camp hours so please make arrangements to pick up your child on time.
For information regarding our cancellation policy and all other company policies, please visit USSC Policies.
NIKE LACROSSE CAMP FAQ
For general questions about our lacrosse camps please see our FAQ page.
DAY CAMP AMENITIES
• 4 days of instruction (SAT-TUE)
• 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
• Lunch provided each day
• Reversible Nike practice jersey
**Camp runs Saturday to Tuesday. Please note camp will take place on the 4th of July.
Some local hotel options listed below:
- Country Inn and Suites: 7860 Plantation Rd. Roanoke, VA 24019 - 540-366-5678
- 10:00 AM - Campers Check in and drop off
- 10:30 AM - Campers first field session - warm ups, stick skills, fun skills sessions
- 12:00 PM - Lunch (provided) in Air Conditioned Dining Hall
- 1:00 PM - Campers second field session - warm ups, stick skills and team games
- 2:00 PM - Campers picked up
TEAM DISCOUNT: If five or more campers register together, each camper is eligible for a $25 discount. Please have a team contact reach out directly to the USSC office at 1-800-645-3226 to receive a discount code to identify your group. Campers may then register through the website at their convenience and apply the coupon code during check-out.
SIBLING DISCOUNT: $25 off each player. You can call 1-800-645-3226 to receive the sibling discount over the phone or you can indicate that you are eligible for the sibling discount in the “comments” field when registering via our secure website. Sibling discount cannot be combined with any other discount.
In Roanoke College, you'll find a beautiful campus in a classic college town, with a vibrant city and beautiful countryside just minutes away. The campus is only 10 minutes from the Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport, with direct flights to more than nine cities in the Midwest and East Coast. It is 3-4 hours by car from Charlotte, N.C., Richmond, Va., and Washington, D.C.
Camp ReviewsSubmit a review
Overall Average RatingStars
Every lacrosse player in the region should be attending this camp
July 6, 2021: This is a great camp to help lacrosse players, of all skill levels, take the next step. The on-field instruction focuses on techniques that will make campers better players. No matter the camper's skill level, the staff takes time to work with them 1-on-1 on a regular basis. Every lacrosse player between 7 and 12 in the region should be attending this camp.
— Chris C., Parent
learned new skills
July 3, 2021: My son learned new skills and facts about lax that he didn't know from playing with his rec team in Lexington. He liked that they had the opportunity to do scrimmages. He enjoyed the raffles at the end of the day each day of camp
— Trenya M., Parent
Learned a Lot!
July 23, 2019: My son enjoyed all the coaches, he learned a lot. Each day he came home and immediately got on the re-bounder and then showed me checks, defensive moves, etc. that he had learned. The cafeteria and locker room were highlights too!
— Michael C. Parent
Thank you for such a great week!
July 8, 2017: The staff that the Nike lacrosse camp provides, is very good, they are willing to provide as much time as needed towards the players and making them better. Their focus on improving basic skills and applying them to game situations was awesome. Thank you for such a great week!
— Brady C. Camper
July 7, 2017: Coach Pilat and the staff provide top quality instruction to camp participants. Their focus on improving basic skills, refining techniques, and applying to game situation creates a better lacrosse player.
— James P. Parent
Enjoyed your camp!
July 10, 2016: Just a quick note to let you know how much my son enjoyed your camp this week at Roanoke College. Having played lacrosse for less than a year, he learned a great deal and made some friends as well. Again, thanks for giving him a great experience and deepening his love for this sport!
— Teresa W. Parent
July 8, 2016: My son had a great experience at camp and really wants to go back again next Summer. Thanks for everything that you have done - I have never seen him be so excited about working hard and he loved the camp.
— Andrew R. Parent
Absolutely Wonderful Experience!
July 3, 2016: I just wanted to thank you for the absolutely wonderful experience my son had at camp. He is so pumped about his high school tryout. You helped him tremendously. My husband and I were very impressed with your camp and the way that it was run. We also want to tell you that your assistant coaches were so wonderful to the boys. Our son has NOT stopped talking about how much he learned and what fun it was to meet such nice guys. We even took him to see some of the colleges where your staff member played lacrosse. We just wanted to let you know how glad we were to have sent our son to your camp. You will definitely see him again. Thanks again for all of your efforts.
— Tim K. Parent
SECURE YOUR SPOT – CAMPS SELL OUT!
Last year over 650 Sports Camps sold out, leaving 7,000+ campers on the waitlist. Due to high demand, early registration for our first-come-first-serve camps is strongly recommended.