Tennis Camp at Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center at Yale University
Improve your game and have serious fun
at Nike Tennis Camps
This tennis camp is geared towards boys and girls ages 7-17 who are excited to have fun while also advancing their tennis skills. We have a great staff that is energetic and eager to connect with campers and help them develop their skills and technique in a fun and friendly environment.
Campers will receive tennis instruction, utilize awesome tennis facilities and have the opportunity to hit a ton of balls and make new friends.
- Instruction from Head Women's Tennis Coach, Rachel Kahan, and her expert staff
- Low camper to coach ratio
- Campers receive Tennis Camp T-shirt and prizes
- View More Details ⟩
Camp Director Rachel Kahan
Rachel Kahan, who coached Middlebury College to two NCAA Tournament semifinal appearances and was a successful student-athlete at Duke, was named the Swensen-McMahon Head Coach of Women's Tennis at Yale in July of 2021. Kahan enjoyed remarkable success in four seasons at Middlebury, including one that was cut short by the pandemic. The Panthers posted a 40-10 overall record, won six NCAA Tournament matches and advanced to two NESCAC Championship matches during her tenure.View Rachel's Bio ⟩
Kahan was named the head women's tennis coach at Middlebury in the spring of 2018. She had served in an interim role since July of 2017 and was an assistant coach with the program for the 2016-17 season. During the 2017-18 season, Kahan guided the Panthers to the NCAA semifinals, finishing with a then program single-season tying 17 wins (17-4). Middlebury also advanced to the NESCAC Championship match. In 2018-19, Middlebury returned to the NESCAC Championship match and made its fourth-straight appearance in the NCAA semifinals with a program single-season record 19 wins (19-3). The Panthers also had two doubles pairs play their way into the NCAA semifinals. In her one season as an assistant coach, Middlebury finished with a 17-5 record and reached the NCAA semifinals. Kahan is a 2015 graduate of Duke University where she enjoyed an incredibly successful tennis career, earning the second-most Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) singles wins (36) of any student-athlete in Duke history. In her first season, she posted a record of 31-1 and a perfect 11-0 mark in conference play on her way to being named the ACC Rookie of the Year. She had a singles record of 26-5 as a sophomore and helped the Blue Devils win the ACC championship and advance to the NCAA Tournament semifinals. In her senior campaign, she had a 20-6 singles mark and was the National Indoor Champion after missing her junior year due to injury. As a Blue Devil, she accumulated an overall singles record of 77-12 and a 44-22 mark in doubles. Kahan was ranked as high as 77th by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) at the conclusion of her rookie year. Originally from Unionville, Connecticut, Kahan is familiar with Yale’s tennis facility. She participated in the Pilot Pen Professional Tournament at Yale as an amateur in 2009. Her other success on the junior circuit included winning the New England United States Open Qualifier Tournament in 2010, posting wins against International Tennis Federation (ITF) juniors ranked No. 1, No. 10 and No. 40 in the world and being the top-ranked player in New England from 2005-07. In addition to earning her undergraduate degree as a sociology major at Duke, Kahan attended Duke’s Graduate School in the Master’s and Liberal Studies program in 2014-15 and earned a Master’s degree in Coaching and Athletic Administration from American Public University in 2020.
2024 CAMP DATES
- July 15-19
- July 22-26
All sessions are open to players of all abilities unless otherwise noted. All participants are evaluated by the staff so that their own instructional needs can be addressed throughout the week.
There will be a player evaluation after check-in. Campers will then be sorted by ability first then age. Adjustments will be made throughout the camp when needed/appropriate to do so.
- All Skills Program: The All Skills program is designed for tennis players of any skill level and background. Campers will learn fundamentals and improve upon their game.
- Check-in: All campers check in at 8:45am on Monday at the tennis courts. Campers should come dressed and ready to play. Parents can park in the parking lot at 279 Derby Ave, West Haven, CT 06516.
- Full Day Check-out: Campers will check out at 4:00pm each day
- Half Day Check-out: Campers will check out at 12:00pm each day
- Full Day Camper Schedule: Monday 8:45am-4:00pm, Tuesday-Friday 9:00am-4:00pm
- Half Day Camper Schedule: Monday 8:45am-12:00pm, Tuesday-Friday 9:00am-12:00pm
Lunch is not provided. Campers will need to bring their own lunch each day.
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE FEE?
- Instruction: 5-6 hours of daily tennis training, morning and afternoon sessions
- Supervision: Staff members participate in all activities
- Camp T-shirt: All campers receive a Tennis Camps t-shirt
INSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT & FACILITY
- Ratio: 5:1 camper-to-coach ratio
- Groupings: Campers are grouped by age, ability, and experience. There will be an evaluation on the first day of camp after check-in. From there, we will separate players based on ability first, followed by age if necessary. Adjustments can be made during camp.
- Equipment Needed: All campers must bring a tennis racquet, tennis shoes, and a water bottle.
- Facility: 12 court outdoor facility and 8 court indoor facility on Yale University's campus.
- Inclement Weather Plan: We will use indoor courts if need
- Medical Protocol: Most camps have an athletic trainer on-site to help with illness or injury. In case of an emergency, campers will be transported to the nearest hospital.
PREPARE FOR CAMP: COMPLETE YOUR PRE-CAMP CHECKLIST
To view your customer account, complete your mandatory forms, pay balance dues, and review important camp information, visit Pre-Camp Checklist. All necessary camp information is on this page. If there are any imperative changes prior to camp start, registered campers will be notified via email and this webpage will be updated!
CHECKLIST OF THINGS TO BRING
Below is a suggested list of clothes, equipment, and personal items. US Sports Camps is NOT responsible for lost or stolen articles or money.
- Athletic, on-court tennis clothing
- Tennis Racquet(s)
- Tennis shoes (no running shoes)
- Sweatshirt/warm-up jacket and pants
- Water bottle*
- Signed Health & Release forms and waivers (forms completed online do not need to be printed and turned in at camp)
ADDITIONAL REQUIRED FORMS
In addition to US Sports Camps' online Health and Release forms, the following additional required documents MUST be completed and brought to camp on the first day. Campers will not be permitted without the below documents. These documents can be found in the online portal under the 'Important Notes' section.
- Yale Waiver
- Kahan Tennis Academy Liability Waiver
- CT Youth Camp Health Exam Record: This form must be completed and signed by your child's physician and brought to camp. If you already have a copy of your camper's most recent physical with their physician's signature, you may bring that to camp instead of this form.
For information regarding our cancellation policy and all other company policies, please visit USSC Policies.
TENNIS CAMP FAQ
For general questions about our tennis camps please see our FAQ page
Maximize your camp experience with SwingVision, an iPhone app that provides the following benefits when you record your play: watch a full match in 20 minutes with the dead-time automatically removed, view stats like shot placement, court positioning, shot speed, and consistency for each shot type, filter to particular shot or point types and easily create highlight videos of certain points or shots, access video analysis, and stats immediately after you finish recording, all on unlimited cloud storage.
Camp Code: TNXDYUShow Less See More Camp Details
Sample Daily Schedule
- 8:45am Check-in
- 9:00am-12:00pm Tennis Instruction
- 12:00pm-1:00pm Lunch
- 1:00pm-4:00pm Tennis Instruction
- 4:00pm Pick up
July 29, 2023: Safety. Loved Rachel and Emma s enthusiasm with the younger kids. They made it such a fun experience for all . And took very good care of the kids that they did not get overtired in the hot sun but still had fun with other kids and learned tennis.
July 27, 2023: My child loved attending the camp and made new friends. He was motivated to play and learn.
July 23, 2023: Coaches who cared and great level of playing for my child
July 24, 2023: my son had fun and made friends--and improved his skills
July 25, 2023: My son had fun and enjoyed camp. Overall a great time.
July 23, 2023: Child greatly improved and had a great time
July 18, 2023: Kid was happy about going to camp everyday
He definitely will be back
SECURE YOUR SPOT – CAMPS SELL OUT!
Last year over 650 Sports Camps sold out, leaving 7,000+ campers on the waitlist. Due to high demand, early registration for our first-come-first-serve camps is strongly recommended.