Maryland Nike Volleyball Camp at Johns Hopkins University
Learn from the best at the
Maryland Nike Volleyball Camp
The 2019 Maryland Nike Volleyball Camp in Baltimore will be hosted at Johns Hopkins University this coming summer. Under the instruction of JHU Head Volleyball Coach, Matt Troy, campers from DC, Maryland, Virginia and beyond are invited to come enhance their skills through focused drills and collegiate level instruction.
Our superb coaching staff will teach players about the importance of confidence, communication, and cooperation through a welcoming and competitive environment. This volleyball camp in Maryland focuses on improving individual mechanics through skill specific training and incorporating live-game play to cover the defensive and offensive fundamentals.
The Maryland Nike Volleyball Camp has leased or rented facilities from the Johns Hopkins University. However, the Maryland Nike Volleyball Camp and any programs operated by US Sports Camps are not related to or affiliated with the Johns Hopkins University in any way. The Maryland Nike Volleyball Camp is an entirely separate legal entity with no connection to the Johns Hopkins University aside from the temporary use of facilities for the specified program. This program is open to any all entrants.
- Instruction from collegiate coaching staff and players
- Excellent residential, dining and training facilities
- 6-7 hours daily instruction, with 1:8 staff to camper ratio
- All campers receive a Nike Volleyball Camps T-shirt and prizes!
- View More Details ⟩
Camp Director Matt Troy
Matt Troy was named the head volleyball coach at Johns Hopkins on January 30, 2019. This is his second stint as the head coach at Johns Hopkins after previously serving in the position from 2010-12. He then spent six seasons as the head coach at Mary Washington before returning to Homewood.View Matt Troy's Bio ⟩
Troy posted a 133-57 record at Mary Washington and led the Eagles to three trips to the NCAA Tournament and one Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) title. His 2016 team posted a 31-4 record, claimed the program’s first CAC championship since 1991 and advanced to the NCAA Quarterfinals. He also guided Mary Washington to the NCAA Tournament in 2015 (first round) and 2018 (second round) and the Eagles won at least 20 matches four times in his six seasons.
During his first tenure at Johns Hopkins, Troy quickly turned a solid Blue Jay program into a Centennial Conference power. He compiled an overall record of 73-21 (.777), including a 54-9 (.857) mark in his final two seasons. Johns Hopkins posted a 27-3 (.900) record in Centennial Conference regular season action and claimed the first two Centennial titles in school history (2011, 2012). The Blue Jays made the program’s first two appearances in the NCAA Tournament under Troy’s direction in 2011 and 2012 and the 29 wins the 2012 team amassed remain a school single-season record.
Collectively, Troy has earned four Coach of the Year honors with one selection from the Centennial Conference (2011) and two from the CAC (2016, 2018). He was also the 2016 AVCA North Region Coach of the Year.
Previously at Johns Hopkins, Troy coached eight players who earned All-Centennial Conference honors and the 2012 Centennial Player and Rookie of the Year. He also coached three AVCA All-Americans, three AVCA All-Region players, the 2012 AVCA Regional Rookie of the Year and four CoSIDA Academic All-District selections.
Troy graduated from West Virginia University in 2002 with a bachelor's degree in physical education and health. In 2009, he completed his master's from West Virginia in athletic coaching education.
Troy and his wife, Melissa, have four daughters: Alexis, Kamryn, Emily and Brooke.
This year we are offering an Overnight (ages 11-18) and Extended Day (9:00am-9:00pm, ages 10-18) camp for girls as well as a Day Camp (9:00am-3:00pm) for girls, ages 10-18. Campers can choose between our All Skills (ages 10-18) or Advanced (ages 13-18) programs. Click "See More Camp Details" for further information.
2019 CAMP DATES
- July 1-3 (Overnight & Extended Day Camp)
- July 15-18 (Day Camp)
CAMP PROGRAM OFFERINGS
This camp is open to players of all abilities, unless otherwise noted. Upon arrival, all participants are evaluated by the staff and placed into groups based on age and ability level.
This program is geared towards girls ages 10-18, of all skill levels. Campers will master the fundamentals and develop proper mechanics through a mix of drills, games and competitive play. Overnight campers must be ages 11-18.
This program is geared towards high school and club level players, ages 13-18, with 2-3 years of competitive experience. This intense, challenging program stresses position play, advanced team techniques, physical conditioning, and a higher level of competitive play.
Please note: The following information may be subject to change.
2019 SESSION SCHEDULE
Overnight/Extended Day Camp: July 1-3
- Programs Offered: All Skills & Advanced
- Check-in: 2:00-3:00pm on the first day of camp.
- Check-out: Final games will take place at the gym from 1:00-3:00pm, and graduation takes place at 3:00pm on the last day of camp. Parents are invited to attend. Check out will take place immediately after.
- Extended Day Camper Schedule: Day 1: 2:00-9:00pm, Day 2: 9:00am-9:00pm, Day 3: 9:00am-3:00pm
Day Camp: July 15-18
- Program Offered: All Skills
- Daily Schedule: 9:00am-3:00pm
- Check-in: 8:30am on the first day.
- Check-out: Graduation takes place at 2:30pm on the last day of camp. Parents are invited to attend. Check out will take place immediately after.
- Lunch: Campers should bring their own lunch every day
What's included in the fee?
- Daily volleyball instruction
- Overnight campers: Dormitory housing on campus and all meals are provided.
- Extended Day campers: Lunch and dinner are provided.
- Supervision: Staff members reside in campers’ quarters and participate in all activities.
- Camp T-shirt & Prizes: All campers receive a Nike Volleyball Camps t-shirt and prizes.
- Volleyballs: Volleyballs are provided for each camper to use during instruction at camp, so campers do not need to bring their own. Campers do have the option of purchasing a Molten Volleyball for $17 at the time of registration. Balls will be given out on the last day of camp.
INSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT & FACILITY
- Ratio: 1:8 staff to camper ratio
- Players Grouped by: ability, age, years of experience
- Equipment Needed: Players should supply their own kneepads and have at least one pair of well broken-in volleyball (court) shoes. Campers do not need to bring their own balls.
- Facility: Indoor courts
- Medical Protocol: Most camps have an athletic trainer on-site to help with illness or injury. In case of an emergency, campers will be transported to the nearest hospital.
The information below is based on previous years and is subject to change each year. Final housing information for this camp will be provided in the Camper Registration Packets, emailed to all campers closer to the camp’s start date.
- Campers Per Room: 2 per room
- Roommates: Rooms are assigned by age & roommate requests. Roommate requests must be received no later than 14 days before the start of camp. If you don't have a roommate request, you will be placed in a room with someone near your age. It will be a great opportunity to meet someone new!
- Bathrooms: Shared in Hall
- Linens: Not included. Bring linens or sleeping bag, pillow, pillowcase, and a towel.
- Air Conditioning: Please refer to the Camper Registration Packet. A/C availability depends on our specific dorm assignment.
Nike Volleyball Camps does not provide transportation from airports, train stations or bus depots. If you have a child flying to camp, please arrange a shuttle or taxi service. The closest airport to campus is Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport.
If you have a group of eight or more campers registering for the same camp, each camper is eligible for a discount. Please have someone contact the US Sports Camps office at 1-800-645-3226 with the names of each camper in the group and we will create a unique discount code for your group. Campers may then register individually through the website at their convenience and apply the offer code during check out. *Discount amount varies by program. Please call for details.
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers in the Spring. Our health and release forms may require a doctor's signature (please reference your camp packet). All required forms will be collected on the first day of camp.
Camps are open to any and all entrants, limited only by number, age, grade level and/or gender.
Overnight/Extended Day Camp
- 7:00am Wake-up, shower, breakfast for Overnight Campers
- 9:00am Extended Day Campers arrive. Stretching & Warm-up
- 9:15am Training Session I
- 12:00pm Lunch, rest
- 1:30pm Training Session II
- 4:00pm Free time, rest, dinner
- 6:30pm Training Session III
- 9:00pm Extended Day Campers depart. Overnight Campers to rooms.
- 10:00pm Lights out
- 9:00am Campers arrive, warm up
- 9:15-11:30am Skills and small game tactics
- 11:30am-12:15pm Lunch
- 12:15-12:45pm Lecture and demonstration
- 1:00-3:00pm Drills, games, and scrimmaging
- 3:00pm Campers depart
Johns Hopkins University is located in Baltimore, Maryland and ranked 10th in the nation as a top university. Johns Hopkins contains 24 varsity sports teams and multiple state-of-the-art athletic facilities that they play on.